1965 Mosrite Ventures needs frets. What is best fret choice?

tom-ocaster

1965 Mosrite Ventures needs frets. What is best fret choice?

Postby tom-ocaster » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:26 pm

I have an original '65 Ventures model guitar, Sunburst finish with Moseley tailpiece & truss-rod adjustment at heel.
The frets have been removed.
Question: What is the best fret wire to use for a proper refret? manufacturer, profile, & size, etc?

Also, the tone pot is frozen...should I replace that, or just leave it alone?
Thanks,
Tom

* 1965 Mosrite Ventures Model Guitar (ser # 2818), VG, original sunburst finish, Mosley tailpiece, truss-rod adjusts at heel, normal wear, 8-screw pickguard, 1965 body & neck dates, pickup covers have Mosrite of California (no circled "R").

Mosrite Notes:
Neck Date: NOV 8 1965 (stamped with black ink under finish, & also with stock # 0015)
Body Date: OCT 14 1965 (stamped with dark-blue ink, also twice with stock # 021, & some indecipherable hand-written initials..."B"..."Wed"...?)
Tone Pot is frozen: 134 6534 (34th week of 1965)
Volume pot works & #s match tone pot

Hydra19
Valued Member

Re: 1965 Mosrite Ventures needs frets. What is best fret cho

Postby Hydra19 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:58 am

hi, i have a 1966 Mosrite, sunburst also, that I believe could use some new frets as well. I have enquired about a refret but changed my mind dozens of times as it's my only vintage guitar, and it is still playable, although the treble strings could use some more wire.

I have searched a lot for the correct fretwire and they say it doesn't really exist anymore, as it was mandolin wire. What was recommended as the closest wire to the vintage wire was Dunlop Fret Wire 6340. the width is pretty much the same and the height is also very close. If you google "mosrite refret" you should be able to find the thread. I've ordered the fretwire and will receive it soon, but am not 100% if I will it refretted

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:00 am

as for the frozen tone pot, either get someone to try to fix it, otherwise go for CTS 500 tone pot, I believe that is what the top of the line reissues use, my Fillmore '63 has them

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:31 am

Frozen pots can be caused by a few things, most of which can be easily fixed with a little bit of work.

In my experience the shaft will sometimes "rust" itself to the threaded sleeve and sometimes it will freeze because of the lubricant grease that was applied at the factory has dried out and hardened like glue. There are other ways for the shaft to freeze up, but these are the two things that I find most often.

I would start by removing the knob and applying a small amount of DeoxIt to the the shaft where it enters the threaded sleeve. Then I would spray some DeoxIt into the opening of the pot and let it sit for an hour or so and see if it loosens up. If it is still frozen, I'd apply a second round of the DeoxIt and then lightly tap the shaft on the end to try and move the shaft down into the center of the pot. This might help free up the shaft, but do not hit it hard. Tap it with the end of a screwdriver handle a few times.

If all else fails, then the pot can be removed from the guitar and the back housing can be removed for further cleaning and dis-assembly.

I suggest DeoxIt because it is the best pot cleaner on the market, and will not harm the internal parts of the pot. If you choose to use some other cleaner or lubricant, be certain that it is safe for use on pots. I have used WD-40 in the past with no problems, but I always follow up with a spray out with DeoxIt before putting things back together.

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:03 am

found this saved in my documents, some info on a refret:

"I know its an old topic but this is possibly the closest replacement for 60s Mosrite fretwire that can be purchased now. Dunlop Accu-Fret #6340. .072 wide, .035 tall.

File it down to Speed Fret height and you've got it. For Speed Fret reference, My Ventures II's speed frets are .070 wide or so and the height is .020-.022 on the bass side and they taper to .015 or so on the treble side. Past where the High E would be, They almost melt into the fretboard in the fretboard edge which is rounded. I imagine this "Melted fretwire" would be difficult to replicate in a refret without removing wood. There's no (Or very little) Filing of the frets on the edges and the tops don't appear to be crowned."

tom-ocaster

Postby tom-ocaster » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:31 am

Thank you all to the excellent feedback on fret size & pot repairs.

Cheers ~

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:37 pm

Another thumbs up for DEOXIT. Stuff works neo-freakin-magic.

The 65-66(?) Combo Mk I needs a refet but man, as you folks, am super-afraid to do so and sad about there being no "true" easily available fretwire out there.

cal0101

Postby cal0101 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:15 am

Why not buy some mandolin fret wire and use that
My 1960 Euro spec VW beetle ragtop

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:48 am

I actually got the Dunlop fretwire above and it seems narrower than the Mosrite frets on my '66 but are slightly taller, all in all, I would be happy to have this size on the Mosrite. I feel just like you, thinking it would be a shame to lose the vintage factor so I decided to just play it as it is.

I've got 2 modern Mosrites with bigger frets, and plan to get a vintage 1965...then I'll have a think about re fretting it again, especially once I compare it to the 1965.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”