Heel angle problem. Experienced builders HELP!

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Heel angle problem. Experienced builders HELP!

Postby cmiller0034 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:50 am

I have a problem with the heel of my guitar neck. The neck is supposed to be at a 2 degree angle where the heel meets the body. I tried to accomplish this with a protractor and a belt sander but I cant get the bottom of the heel to come out level and parallel with the neck (if that makes sense).

How do this accurately? I cant seem to do this by eye, and I don't have much wood left to keep grinding away. What tools do you guys use? PLEASE HELP!

ex: The fret board and the top of the body need to be on the same lateral axis (must be kept at 0 degress, no tilt). But the Longitudinal axis (fretboard) is pointed down by 2 degrees.

Basically, how do I sand the heel so the head stock points down at the right angle without it tilting to the side?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

John H

Re: Heel angle problem. Experienced builders HELP!

Postby John H » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:13 pm

I use a router to make that cut. If you clamp a block to either side of the neck, they can be used to guide your router at any angle you desire.

If you're not absolutely certain about your layout ( neck angle, depth, etc.) I think It's a very good idea to draw a full size side view where it's possible to physically see the relationship of the neck depth, and angle. Lay it out with the height of the bridge, nut, and strings taken into consideration. You can then use this layout to get the exact angle you need. Better safe, than sorry.

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Re: Heel angle problem. Experienced builders HELP!

Postby cmiller0034 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:03 pm

John H wrote:I use a router to make that cut. If you clamp a block to either side of the neck, they can be used to guide your router at any angle you desire.

If you're not absolutely certain about your layout ( neck angle, depth, etc.) I think It's a very good idea to draw a full size side view where it's possible to physically see the relationship of the neck depth, and angle. Lay it out with the height of the bridge, nut, and strings taken into consideration. You can then use this layout to get the exact angle you need. Better safe, than sorry.

Thank you John, thats a good idea. I will try and make a simple jig like that tonight. Then test it first.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”