Hello Everyone

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Re: Hello Everyone

Postby cmiller0034 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:32 am

Thumbs up! I assume you meant cove bit and not core bit. That what I used, though I didn't have the fore site to make a template first the way you did.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

John H

Postby John H » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:25 am

cmiller0034 wrote:Thumbs up! I assume you meant cove bit and not core bit. That what I used, though I didn't have the fore site to make a template first the way you did.

Thanks. Nope I meant core bit. A "core box" bit has no guide bearing. The setback of the carve varies as you go around the guitar. This can't be done with a cove bit. That's why I need the template to guide the router.

I've got some other project's in the way, but I'm currently filling grain, and working up samples of the finish for this bass. I'll get some pictures up soon.

John H

Postby John H » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:45 am

Some color.

John H

Postby John H » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:13 am

The second coat looks a little smoother.

There are still a few big pores that I'll have to drop fill, but so far this is the look I wanted. I had to apply the red aniline dye several times to get a deep color. Much of the face of the guitar will be covered with the control plate, and pickups. I hope that it balances well with all of the black plastic.

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:50 pm

John H wrote:The second coat looks a little smoother.

There are still a few big pores that I'll have to drop fill, but so far this is the look I wanted. I had to apply the red aniline dye several times to get a deep color. Much of the face of the guitar will be covered with the control plate, and pickups. I hope that it balances well with all of the black plastic.

Please excuse my ignorance. What do you mean by "drop fill"? Also, are you adding dye to tru oil and rubbing it in around the edges, for that burst look? Looks great so far. Thanks.

edit: did you do this?

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/finely-finished/290380-how-achieve-sg-heritage-cherry-type-finish-stain-tru-oil.html
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:06 am

cmiller0034 wrote:

Also, are you adding dye to tru oil and rubbing it in around the edges, for that burst look? Looks great so far. Thanks.

Just noticed the black spray paint on the towel. Didn't have my thinking cap on. :lol: That answers my question about the burst, I guess.

John H

Postby John H » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:08 am

cmiller0034 wrote:Please excuse my ignorance. What do you mean by "drop fill"? Also, are you adding dye to tru oil and rubbing it in around the edges, for that burst look? Looks great so far. Thanks.

Thank You. There were some small 'tear-out's' from machining the figured maple that were too much for the lacquer to fill. I use a toothpick to put a drop of clear filler into the imperfections. You can use epoxy, or CA glue, but I prefer clear nail lacquer. After it cures, Level out the droplet's with sandpaper. I'll finish the walnut neck with tru-oil, but the body is nitro. I did the shading with an airbrush. The transparent top looks like molten lava. "Lavaburst"

For the red I used keda dye. http://kedadyeinc.com/

615n8

Postby 615n8 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:08 pm

Hubba!

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”