Singer Pickup winder project

Greg_L
Top Producer

Re: Singer Pickup winder project

Postby Greg_L » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:20 am

Does the count really matter? I know you wanna be able to monitor how many windings you get, or at least know the ballpark, but the actual ohm measurement is what's important, right?

John H

Postby John H » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:28 am

The turn count matters much more than the DCR. Hello Greg.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:32 am

What is DCR? DC Resistance? Sorry for my ignorance. I don't build pickups, I wreck em!

Anyway, what if you're aiming for a resistance reading, but the turns are more or less than you think they should be?

John H

Postby John H » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:41 am

Greg_L wrote:What is DCR? DC Resistance? Sorry for my ignorance. I don't build pickups, I wreck em!

Anyway, what if you're aiming for a resistance reading, but the turns are more or less than you think they should be?
You rectum?
You can shoot for a resistance reading, but it's not the most effective. The resistance can have a huge variance only from the effect of the ambient temperature.
It's a coil so the number of turns changes the inductance. Pickup's are inductors.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:04 pm

That's a useful and crafty way to make a pickup winder.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:42 pm

John H wrote:
Greg_L wrote:What is DCR? DC Resistance? Sorry for my ignorance. I don't build pickups, I wreck em!

You rectum?
You can shoot for a resistance reading, but it's not the most effective. The resistance can have a huge variance only from the effect of the ambient temperature.
It's a coil so the number of turns changes the inductance. Pickup's are inductors.

Rectum? I hardly knew him!

Ok, I get that, but why is an almost arbitrary number of winds more important than the actual reading? This is what I can't understand.

It's like, who cares what the reading is as long as you get 10,000 winds. That doesn't make sense to me. :cry:

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:00 pm

DC Resistance is easy to measure, so it has become an simple way for people to compare the relative output of similar pickups. It is hardly an accurate measurement of the real output of a pickup.

When a pickup is designed, the number of turns and the wire gauge is specified along with the magnet type and strength. At least this way every pickup made will be similar in tone and output. When the coil is finished, a dc resistance reading can be taken to insure that the coil has continuity and falls into the correct range of resistance for a good coil.

As was pointed out earlier, the temperature of the coil will change the dc resistance reading. So on a cold day in the shop the reading will be higher than on a hot day. If you wind to a specific resistance, then the temperature of the room and coil will need to be carefully controlled or you can end up with coils that are all over the place.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:37 pm

Ahhhhhhh, I see. So first you'd have to know X number of winds would result in X reading at X temp. Then you can just go by number of winds for consistency regardless of temp if you make more. Correct?

John H

Postby John H » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:39 pm

Greg_L wrote:Ahhhhhhh, I see. So first you'd have to know X number of winds would result in X reading at X temp. Then you can just go by number of winds for consistency regardless of temp if you make more. Correct?

Yeah, in a nutshell. Remember though, You cannot judge a pickup's output by the resistance. There are many other variables.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:39 pm

John H wrote:
Greg_L wrote:Ahhhhhhh, I see. So first you'd have to know X number of winds would result in X reading at X temp. Then you can just go by number of winds for consistency regardless of temp if you make more. Correct?

Yeah, in a nutshell. Remember though, You cannot judge a pickup's output by the resistance. There are many other variables.

Sure, yeah I get that. But there are tendencies, right? Like more DC resistance usually results in a hotter output and fatter sound?

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”