Tuning Machine Placement

Lespete456

Tuning Machine Placement

Postby Lespete456 » Fri May 23, 2014 3:08 pm

Anybody ever consider re-drilling tuning gears in the 3 on 3 style headstocks? I have a mosrite 350 mono, and it sounds terrific, but it doesn't stay in tune all that great, and I think it is mostly because of the side angle of those inside strings (les paul syndrome). The outside E strings are straight on, but the others are all at some angle that causes the strings to bind in the nut.

I was thinking that if these tuner holes were filled, then new ones could be drilled for a straight path from nut to tuning post. I was thinking that the klusons could be replaced with banjo tuning keys (like on a Firebird) because the new posts would be too far in the headstock for the kluson pegs to reach to the sides for accessibility. The banjo keys are vertical so that they could be accessed easily. I'm trying to find if anyone has had success doing this as I don't want to mess up the guitar, but at the same time I would like this guitar to be perfect and extremely versatile.

Any thoughts? Too Crazy?

Greg_L
Top Producer

Re: Tuning Machine Placement

Postby Greg_L » Fri May 23, 2014 3:37 pm

I've always thought this is how all guitars should be done. Sort of like a Flying V headstock.

Lespete456

Postby Lespete456 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:32 am

Yeah, like the flying V. Or PRS I suppose.

rcblair

Postby rcblair » Fri May 30, 2014 6:55 pm

Instead of mangling the headstock you could try using some dry graphite powder in the string slots. That should relieve any binding problem.

Rick B.
1965 Ventures Model Bass. Original owner. Early 70's bass.

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Sat May 31, 2014 1:13 am

I dislike the flying "V' guitar, but that is one thing they goit right.
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Lespete456

Postby Lespete456 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:00 am

I put graphite in the slots each time I change strings.....Works well for a week, then things start to bind up. I just put a set of 12's on with a wound G string, and that has actually helped a lot.

One other thing I noticed, on my Mosrite, which may not be on other ones, but the headstock is slightly thicker towards the nut, and gets slightly slimmer towards the end of it. This causes the outside E strings' tuning posts to be slightly angled and off centered to the bushings. Anyone ever experience this on their Mosrite?

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”