Help new member with outstanding info and share what I found

Curly

Help new member with outstanding info and share what I found

Postby Curly » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:22 am

Thank you all for info i have found to date. I have been working on it (65 single pup bass) I have about a full 6 hours (working) into it and am more than half done.
Does anyone know what the Resistance Ohms reading is/was on a single pickup 65 Ventures Bass Should be?
There seems to be all kinds of info but some conflicts within this site.
To whomever posted the bridge cover pics and dia. TYVM as mine was totally absent.
A wiring pic of the original wiring for the single pickup 65 bass would be great as the one I purchased was obviously altered.
Got all the hardware locally (even old stock #12/24 slot head screws for tuners) except Mosrite knobs and trying to find pickguard material that was original --- Yep someone way back did something that must have been hip or cool.

There appears to be within this site some people "keeping track" of what's written in neck to body joint location so here is the info in there for those that care. If anyone might know or want to share what some of this info means "good or bad" I'm all ears. I only intend to play it for what it is and am simply going to try and restore it with the right "stuff" and keep for the most part it's well travelled past.

Inside the body in the neck pocket are (in pencil the initials BC, at the end of the neck Thin part in Red Pencil isn "SUN" --- Sunburst my guess)
Also in neck pocket is another word in pencil hard to make out but appears to say "Rout Good" --- Quality check?
Body neck pocket stamped with blue ink stamp "018" and "Oct. 25 1965" and neck is stamped in blue ink "007" and "Sept 15 1965"

Wish I knew more how to post stuff and pics but I'm old and need a teenager to help.

Curly

Re: Help new member with outstanding info and share what I f

Postby Curly » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm

Well like I said i'm not very good at this computer stuff but try and get by. Here are some pics of the fixes, repairs, etc...
Any feedback would be appreciated here's what I think I know from research but I could be full of it so any corrections are appreciated. (Yep I see I'm a few screws short --- ran out and it needs new strings but I could not resist playinf it after a quick set-up)

--- Wrong knobs for volume and tone I think??? What should they be and I tried that Ed Roman place and they don't pick up or don't like Canadian phone calls just rings forever.
--- Volume and tone seems to have little effect I don't think it's wired right but everything was so dirty including pots lots of time spent cleaning confirmation it's wired correctly or not would be great.
--- I don't think it's the correct pick-up or is it? It does not have mosrite anywhere on it and it consistently measured 10.1 K Ohms (I'm an aircraft mech. with a calibrated fluke meter) You experts any ideas?
---

http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/gayle081/library/

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:41 pm

Nice bass you have there. Most of it looks original to me with the exception of the wiring and the J-Bass pickup.

The pickup appears to be the correct one and a 10K ohm reading would be about right. The wiring job is messy, but it looks like it should work correctly. Check to see that there are no wires touching where they shouldn't be and that all the wires touch where they should. See if the pots are marked with a value, or try and measure them with your meter. As far as I know, the wiring originally was the same as was used on the guitars. So if you search the forum you will find photos of original controls and wiring.

The correct knobs would be chrome plated domes that look like derby hats. They have gotten really expensive lately as they are getting harder to find.

What is wrong with the pickguard? The original material is long out of production and I've never seen any show up anywhere.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Curly

Postby Curly » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:05 pm

Thank you so much for your feedback/advice.

So is this a real Mosrite or a fake in your opinion.
Not sure exactly what you mean about the pick-up (that is left up @ the neck) --- Is that original or ??? I see Mr. Elliot makes/rewinds pick-ups? Is that the one that belongs on this bass? If yes great if not; does anyone know if it would sound much different than what is on there. (The more I play it and roll the pots back and forth the better it seems to be getting) --- String spacing and this being my first shortscale is fun but challenging.
I knew the bridge j-bass pickup did not belong on it. And thought about making it a 2 pup model but it just did not feel right. It called out to me at the flea market despite to try and save it and play it again to be enjoyed.
The pots have the following on them. Tone indicates 100 K and and volume says nothing but measured @ about the same 100K. (both seem low to me but I'm no expert at all).
As far as the knobs do you mean the ones with the "M" on top or the others that have nothing but kinda the same shape?
It sounds good but would love to know and put it to original as best I can.
As far as the pickguard I panicked and never took a pic. right after purchase it cleaned up well. (Someone put a spiderweb design on it that aircraft cleaner took away without damage to the pickguard)
It's already way different than my Ric 4003, Gib Tbird, Peavey T-40 in sound.
Any help comments critism all is welcome.

Curly

Postby Curly » Tue May 27, 2014 12:44 am

Thanks all I'm finally done now ... except for those expensive knobs it took longer than I anticipated. The fretboard serial # indicates 5494A. The "A" is stamped close to the last digit and almost seems like some sort of afterthought. Any experts on what that "A" is all about???

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”