Star Swirl *** 1st build

panther
Top Producer

Re: Star Swirl *** 1st build

Postby panther » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:18 am

Where did you find the rubber padding tube for the hangers. :evil: Everything I run across is too rough. :?:
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:17 pm

panther wrote:Where did you find the rubber padding tube for the hangers. :evil: Everything I run across is too rough. :?:
Dan

Oh, I sorry I wasn't clear. The rubber and tubing is actually the String Swing hangers made by the company. I just made the wooden bases to screw into the wall and put together the screws and bits to attach them. The metal bases that came with them were for slat walls used in retail stores. I basically just modified them for my purposes. I love Sting Swings, they are a quality product and use them to hang all my guitars. I only had the vertical ones and found these on eBay for really cheap. They use some special type of covering that doesn't mar your instrument's finish and are quite well made.

The metal ones are original. I made the wooden bases to replace them

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:19 pm

If you have been following, sorry I haven't updated in a while. I'm slowly shaping the back of the neck. My far more musically talented friends asked me to play in their band. Since I spend more time listening to music and building guitars than I do practicing, trying to build some decent chops has been my priority. I only know about 20 chords and no scales (gasp). Scale memorization is my Achilles heel! Dont want to embarrass my self too badly, they might not ask me to sit in again. :lol: Minor Pentatonic here I come!

My friend Mike on guitar
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:52 pm

Wait, we're supposed to know scales?

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:44 pm

I learned the scales, but what they didn't tell me is how to apply them. So they are worthless to me.
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:52 pm

panther wrote:I learned the scales, but what they didn't tell me is how to apply them. So they are worthless to me.
Dan

That's the problem with all theory. It's the same with drum rudiments. All drummers preach "practice your rudiments". But guess what? Without knowing how to apply them to real world music situations, they're absolutely useless. Great, so someone can play scales and/or drum rudiments like a champ. Woopdy freaking doo.

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:59 pm

panther wrote:I learned the scales, but what they didn't tell me is how to apply them. So they are worthless to me.
Dan

That my problem as well, I don't see how they all connect in the grand scheme. But I think there is a connecting thread in all that stuff. Once you find that and understand it you're golden I expect. Somehow I don't think I'll get it until I pay someone to show me the ins and out of theory. Baby steps

Anyway here are some updates on the old guitar:

Shaping that body

Yes. That is an exhaust pipe.

Appropriate Albums for the space

Side dots

This took me forever to decide on. Faceting the neck

I didn't like how prominent the Volute was so I shaved it down a bit

That is as far as I got. Purchased some better files from Sears to cut the Volute and heel with.

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:03 am

Dan

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:29 pm

Something I picked up recently for shaping of guitar necks...I use plumber's emery strip! It is available in various grit values, and really cuts! I find I can take it right up to "240" with increasingly frequent checks as I approach my "time to stop" mark, which is a heavy pencil line drawn exactly down the center of the back of the neck. I start with my trusty rasp for the rough stock removal, then go to 60 grit in the strip, gradually working down to 240. When the line starts to disappear, it's time to start using the scrapers and fine sandpapers. I final shape with scrapers (I like a slightly flattened side to the neck) then sand down to 1000 grit, then tung-oil the neck for that silky-smooth, slippery feel.

I have also taken a page out of Fender's book of tricks, and have started using thinned-down fretboards, which dramatically reduces the overall depth of the neck, and gives it that "fast" feel. I take my nominal fretboard, and plane about 1/16" to 3/32" off before I start sanding in the radius, and cutting in the fret slots...

Happy whittlin'!

olrnr
Olrocknroller

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:30 pm

Something I picked up recently for shaping of guitar necks...I use plumber's emery strip! It is available in various grit values, and really cuts! I find I can take it right up to "240" with increasingly frequent checks as I approach my "time to stop" mark, which is a heavy pencil line drawn exactly down the center of the back of the neck. I start with my trusty rasp for the rough stock removal, then go to 60 grit in the strip, gradually working down to 240. When the line starts to disappear, it's time to start using the scrapers and fine sandpapers. I final shape with scrapers (I like a slightly flattened side to the neck) then sand down to 1000 grit, then tung-oil the neck for that silky-smooth, slippery feel.

I have also taken a page out of Fender's book of tricks, and have started using thinned-down fretboards, which dramatically reduces the overall depth of the neck, and gives it that "fast" feel. I take my nominal fretboard, and plane about 1/16" to 3/32" off before I start sanding in the radius, and cutting in the fret slots...

Happy whittlin'!

olrnr
Olrocknroller

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”