Star Swirl *** 1st build

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: Star Swirl *** 1st build

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:41 pm

No project would be complete without speed bumps and detours. For your neck, have you tried shims to adjust the height? Shims are your friend - you can dial in the neck height and angle you want, and at least to my (somewhat deaf) ears, there isn't a noticeable difference in tone.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

ludobag
Top Producer

Postby ludobag » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:49 pm

The angle is just a value ,the real important thing is to have a payable guitare
The angle is associated with the high of the neck on the body ,the high of the bridge ,the high of pups ,and also if hou l'ile to have string far from body
There is no rule but only a relation between all the paramèter one to each ôther
A good drawing size 1 of the side of the guitare with all paramèter and ail the mesurement Will tell hou the truth,i do it each new build when i don t know where i go

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:49 pm

Tunneling

For those who follow these posts, sorry I havnt updated in a while, I've been looking for a decent car. But alas, my credit score is still a meager and weak thing that needs time and love to grow into the powerhouse I know it can be. That has been put on hold for a moment so I can do the lord's work and continue building this glorious 6-stringed wonder.

but first:

from Ludobag:
The angle is just a value ,the real important thing is to have a payable guitare

J'ai peu à peu se rendre compte que la vérité, mon pote parisien

from Mel the Malevolent one:
No project would be complete without speed bumps and detours. For your neck, have you tried shims to adjust the height? Shims are your friend - you can dial in the neck height and angle you want, and at least to my (somewhat deaf) ears, there isn't a noticeable difference in tone.

After the adjustments, the Neck is pretty much where I want it, I'll keep the shims in mind if I need to use them. Thank you for the suggestion and keep them coming Mel.

The initial layout plan. But I was concerned about accidentally flipping the pup selector with my wild and youthful strumming techniques so it was moved.

the trem had been re positioned so holes had to be filled. With toothpicks. I now have 798 toothpick left.

Yeah, definitely 798 toothpicks

The bridge pickup was made, Template got a little screwed up in one corer so I had to flip it. That golden thing is a guitar string end I used as a guide bearing to get a tight slot :shock: for the pickup.

Diggin'

The Switchcraft I purchased does not have long enough thread to for the job.

Stuff I did Today!

And it took a few hours just to do it.

Found these ebay do dads. They fit, are cheap, and are black in color. nice.

Access to the pup cavity is required. A long Black shaft was called for. Good thing I have the right tool for the job...

Of course after a long hard drilling the pup cavity had to cleaned up a little with the router and widened for the wiring

clean enough

something like that

One more control cavity to go.... le sigh. This takes so long.

Till next time my fellow burrowing rodents

And for you jive non guitar building turkeys.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:00 pm

The build is coming right along...I AM smiling!
Scott

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:37 pm

I'm curious why you choose not to mount components on the pickguard, unless I miss it earlier ?
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:56 pm

panther wrote:I'm curious why you choose not to mount components on the pickguard, unless I miss it earlier ?
Dan

I miscalculated the scale of the body and neck. They are slightly smaller than a normal Mos, so I think the pickguards I made which are normal sized would look weird trimmed down to fit the body. I saw some of the 1988 Models that Semi built and I really like the look of them without the pickguard. So I figured rear mounted controls might work in this situation. Basically, I made a mistake and this is an attempt to mend it.

hope that makes sense.

The build is coming right along...I AM smiling!
Scott

So am I!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:40 am

Where does he get all those Wonderful Toys?

I installed some Gadgets into the chassis of my musical monstrosity. So more drilling

SideJack hole

This also came in the mail

[Image

and I made this. mmmmmmm.

Then I made a VERY large clamp to countersink the cable jack. As you can see a hand drill and forstner bit just made a bit of a mess.

tried my best the countersink it.

A beautiful September afternoon to be outside :)

Got a bit overzealous with the chamfering. Hope the edges don't chip

Ready for wiring. Almost.

Dont forget to make the Bridge Grounding access!

pickup ring screw holes

Oh, but there are a few mountains left, Mr. Fox. Time to work those body curves. Till next time masked musicians!

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:10 am

Re: Batman Revoloution...I gotta go with the '66 (Futura) Batmobile...and the carbon fiber Cello!

Oh, and the hole for the jack might be remedied by using a Telecaster style cup. ?
Scott

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:32 pm

BRRanger wrote:Re: Batman Revoloution...I gotta go with the '66 (Futura) Batmobile...and the carbon fiber Cello!

Oh, and the hole for the jack might be remedied by using a Telecaster style cup. ?
Scott

The telecaster body is a thick old slab in comparison to the footprint I have to work with. The cup would be even wider and I would have to drill out even more wood to get it to fit. I going to leave it be and just be mindful of the weakness in that area. A learning experience. If those mounting cups were a bit smaller it might have worked. Thank you, for the suggestion though.

Adam West batmobile and carbon fiber FTW, YOU ARE CORRECT, SIR!

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:08 pm

Cavity Cleanup, Guitar hanger, and body contouring

I shrink wrapped a stack albums to preserve them. My ex coworkers were cool enough to let me use the store's machine. Thanks Books and Music exchange.

rubbing for aluminum plate

Needed a place for my project. I had string swing guitar hanger with slot wall bases, which doesnt do me any good. Decided to make my own custom bases out of poplar.

Started shaping the body

Shaping is pretty easy. Basswood is pretty much a soft wood and forms to my will! :twisted: Still gotta do the back and horns. Im not going to crazy with the shaping, just softening the lines mainly. The tempature is starting to drop around Kentucky. I've got to get the paint done before it gets too chilly.

everybody dance NOW!

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”