Star Swirl *** 1st build

Greg_L
Top Producer

Re: Star Swirl *** 1st build

Postby Greg_L » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:13 pm

I'll try to get you some measurements tomorrow.

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:49 pm

Greg_L wrote:I'll try to get you some measurements tomorrow.

that would be greatly appreciated good sir. :D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:06 am

BRRanger wrote:Where's Adam West when you need him? Commissioner....The Bat Signal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doing his thing.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

BlackieOnasis

Postby BlackieOnasis » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:51 am

cmiller0034 wrote:Hey Blackie, Thanks a ton man! This info will help a great deal. Especially the updated pdf for the profile and the info on heel the position. I'm going to print this out for comparison to my line transfers. Maybe tweak it a bit. I am using an enlarged top view image of a Custom 60 for a working template. Your original pdf was pretty close though to what I have.
. . .
Thanks again Blackie. I will continue to remember the Nightrider when I look at the night sky!!!

De nada, amigo. I've been working on it off and on for a few months now. It's probably still off-spec, but I think I've gotten it as close as I can with the measurements I can find online.

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:47 pm

I cut out Blackie's current design and lined it up with my maple.

The headstock angle looks greatly improved. 7 degrees from zero fret it looks like.

not much room between my truss rod and the bottom of neck. He has a 1/4" from bottom of fretboard. Maybe this is how its supposed to be?

It would be nice to have access to the truss rod from the headstock but with how thin the neck is. Maybe the heel position would be best for strength. Or, maybe having the thinner headstock reinforced with a steel rod will improve the durability. (SHRUGS) I'm no engineer.

scale length begins to vary. I have 12 and 1/4" from zero to 12th fret on my template I need to do the math and see if that's right or not for this guitar.

thats all I got for now. again realworld measurments would be helpful. ;)

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:02 pm

By the way if you like surf music... I guessing if you are visiting a Mosrite forum you have at least a passing interest in the genre, Daikaiju will be in the Louisville area this thursday. They are WILD! Dont let the creepy masks fool you they are really nice guys to talk to... though they are mute during the show. A Kabuki thing I guess. I have never had so much fun at a show.

according to their Facebook page:

DAIKAIJU RETURNS!!!
01.08 - The Copper Top - Huntsville, AL
01.09 - Mag Bar - Louisville, KY
01.10 - Mainstay Rock Bar - Cincinnati, OH
01.11 - The Green Lantern - Lexington, KY
01.12 - TBA - Murray, KY

here a a couple photos I took 2 years ago.

BlackieOnasis

Postby BlackieOnasis » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:03 am

cmiller asked me in a PM what I was using to create my profile. I think it's important for any online community to share this sort of info, so I'm posting it here in this thread, too.

I started out using Photoshop, because that's what I use at work the most, and I have a copy at home. However, it's not the best tool for the job, so I've switched to Inkscape - a free (!) vector editing program. You can download it here:
http://inkscape.org/en/

Here's a link to my working Inkscape SVG for the neck profile. Feel free to download, copy and edit to your own needs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxrOZ7y2nzBDQUxXa3BPSEJtZFU/

I've annotated my measurements on the file so everyone can see what's going on. Here's a PDF for those who don't want or have Inkscape:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxrOZ7y2nzBDRllNWmVybE5pYk0/

I'm using a combination of metric and SAE inches in my measurements, but I'll probably convert it all to metric eventually, since it's more precise.

Please let me know if anything on these needs to be corrected.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:15 am

Rather than doing the math, try the Stew Mac calculator. :arrow: http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Referen ... tcalc.html
Danny Ellison

BlackieOnasis

Postby BlackieOnasis » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:27 am

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:16 pm

I was going to go see Daikaiju perform tonight... but didn't feel like being in a bar crowd. Besides work starts a 6 a.m. for me. Instead, I stayed in my warm home and marked the fret positions on the fretboard.

The neck of my guitar is a 24.5" fret scale. Looks like the higher frets are going to be a somewhat cramped. It will be interesting to hear what this thing will feel and sound like when I'm done. Maybe ill like it. Or, maybe the next iteration will need a little tweaking.

I also made a practice neck blank out of some left over pine 4x4's laying around the garage.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”