Star Swirl *** 1st build

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Re: Star Swirl *** 1st build

Postby cmiller0034 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:31 am

panther wrote:Vacuum molding can be a challenge. I encountered many of the same hurdles. I did finally get good stuff, but it was with thinner material. Maybe the heavy stuff calls for a bigger rig.
The picture of the three rings together, are those ones you made, or is that an original on the right ?
Can you share the formula you finally achieved, or do I have to start hiding my ideas ? LOL 8-)

Dan

PM'ed
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:36 am

Chris;
Check out this site. I think this is easy, cheap, and just what the Doctor ordered. There are SEVERAL tutorials. I just selected one, but you can choose others from the list at the right.
Dan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_87cjGF1eJA
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:45 am

Chris;
This one may be even better.
GREAT potential Here for many projects.
Dan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRj6xzNx7P4

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:53 am

Leveled and dressed the frets. But i got a new phone this weekend. And unfortunately I forgot to take the photos off the SD card before I reformatted it for the new phone. Whoops! All that sweet leveling action is lost in the ether.

I was testing it onstage at a wedding gig my friends were doing and the RF noise was crazy. Of course the back of the shielded cavity wasn't on, the test pup was unshielded, and alot to the electronics were alligator clipped together. But I just wanted to test it in a live stage environment while I had a chance.

A cover that Im willing to epoxy my test pickup into is needed before I permanently wire everything together, so Im still going to try and work with the chunky thermoplastic. Maybe I will just cut it to shape and lay it over one of the molds in the oven and let it melt onto it and take shape that way. The current vacuum forming design is a bust, or the sheet is too thick. I'll figure it out.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:58 am

You can use much thinner material, it will be very tough. especially if you pot the pickup into it.
The cast method I think is the way to go.

Dan

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:40 am

Anything new to report ?
Dan

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:17 am

panther wrote:Anything new to report ?
Dan

I've had to redo the fret leveling on the last 12 frets to address some fret buzz. Also I cleaned up the hide glue from the string guide area and used a line of Elmer's white glue (which I had to borrow a bottle from my pops). It seems to be holding. Thanks Bob Shade for the advise. I'm still working on the Pickup covers so the wiring is at a stand still for the moment. The molds are thick and have been drying for DAYS.

Also a second pickup ring was made, this time with black and blue swirls in it.

I just went to Bloomington, IN this afternoon to watch the Madeira put on a fantastic show with a group called the Aquaholics. The crowd was REALLY into it. Showed them the progress I have made on the axe.

https://www.facebook.com/events/322386147954789/327828484077222/?notif_t=plan_mall_activity

Took some shaky vids, I might post them on YT this weekend.

I also ate some awesome pizza at http://www.motherbearspizza.com/ it was on Indiana University's campus right across from the Music Department, what a coincidence. If you are in the area I recommend you try them.

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:36 am

Can you elaborate a bit on the Hide Glue, and Elmer's white glue a bit ?
Why the Hide Glue choice, over Aliphatic Resin ? Why White Glue, instead of AR, or Hide Glue ?

Dan

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:12 pm

panther wrote:Can you elaborate a bit on the Hide Glue, and Elmer's white glue a bit ?
Why the Hide Glue choice, over Aliphatic Resin ? Why White Glue, instead of AR, or Hide Glue ?

Dan

I tried Hide glue and it did not hold the brass string guide in place when I removed the strings. Shade suggested regular old white glue. I didn't use wood glue in case I wanted to remove the string guide without too much trouble.

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:38 pm

The reason I ask, is we Have been having a rather heated discussion about Hide Glue Vs. Aliphatic resin, on the Acoustic Guitar Forum I say, overall usefulness, ease of use, cost. Hands down, Aliphatic Resin is a better choice. Old timers ( I'm one also ) argue hide glue holds better Blah, Blah, Blah. Does that benefit justify (If it is reality, which I'm not convinced ) the cost, storing issues, different grades for thinner material use, has to be heated.
Aliphatic Resin, Open, use. Store anywhere, need it thinned, add water. Bonds, I've never had a Aliphatic Resin bond break, NEVER. Made some wicked saves, not possible with Hide Glue. On and on.
I remember my Dad using hide Glue when I was a kid. But that as ALL there was. Not now. Time to come up to speed, and join the 21st century.

Dan

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”