Mosrite Celebrity Pickup Selector Switch

johnbwiley

Mosrite Celebrity Pickup Selector Switch

Postby johnbwiley » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:01 pm

Didn't see this asked elsewhere, maybe I missed it. The selector switch on my 72 celebrity III is misbehaving. I believe it is causing grounding issues and is making the guitar noisy.
Can you 'rebuild' one of these?
What is the proper replacement?

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Re: Mosrite Celebrity Pickup Selector Switch

Postby Bob Shade » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:39 am

New Switchcraft 3 way switches are available at Allparts. However if it is a ground problem it may not be the switch itself. Have you removed the switch and looked at the ground wires to insure they are all connected? It could also be a bad solder joint etc.

I would trace the ground problem before ordering a new switch, these issues can be a little tricky sometimes. You can remove the pickup wires from the switch itself and test each pickup individually as well, this will tell you something.

If both pickups work fine individually with no ground issues then yes it is most likely in the switch or a bad solder job at the switch.

Also check your ground wire to see if it is still connected to the tailpiece and pots. This should help you find the problem. If not you have at least eliminated the switch from the issue.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”