Bad
No votes
Terrible
14%

Total votes: 7

PrestonRice

Re: My first ever guitar build

Postby PrestonRice » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Hmm... You may want to reinforce that with graphite, steel, or carbon fibre. I can't see that being too strong.

Good luck.

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:19 am

Preston, what are you referring to ? If it's the resin body, It's plenty solid and strong. Like any guitar, If you drop it, Well, you deserve to break it.Her is a photo of it complete except for the finish. The tremolo is entirely hand made.

Dan

"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

PrestonRice

Postby PrestonRice » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:13 pm

No, sorry. I meant his neck specs...

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:41 am

good job so far. but if I may let me give ya some pointers. almost all necks are made of maple. the reason being is it has a very tight grain structure which makes it a very hard wood. you want a hard wood for the neck to prevent it from bowing or warping. not only can a neck bow back and forth it can also twist. making the neck out of 3-5 plys is a good idea. but chances are the popular and pine isn't going to be strong enough in the long term.

guitar bodies you can make really out of anything. the MDF board is a good product to use and actually has a nice tone. most Danelectros are made of MDF and Kalamazoo guitars from the 60's were as well and they were made by gibson.

when building a neck it's very important to make sure the top of the neck is completely flat with out bows in it before gluing on a fretboard to keep the neck from being warped. On the body it kinda looks like the cavity was carved a little too close to the edge. might be hard to find room to place a pickguard screw between the cavity and the edge of the body.

hope this helps. keep up the good work. with practice you can only get better :)

ps- PM me if you ever want more advice or hit me up on my facebook page.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

BlackieOnasis

Postby BlackieOnasis » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:21 am

Steer clear of the First Act neck. Their custom stuff and artist-endorsed lines are generally OK from what I've read, but every single one of their normal production guitars that I've seen have been complete crap.

You may want to keep your eye on Guitar Fetish's "factory buyout clearance sale".
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Factory-Buyout-Clearance-Sale_c_411.html
It's mostly Strat-style stuff, including the necks, but 3x3 headstock necks come up every couple of weeks. I've seen some Schecter stuff in their mix, which shouldn't be too bad.

Mind you, the 3x3 necks get snapped up pretty quick, so you'll need to be on your toes.

But it's important to note that the neck is probably the most important piece of the guitar puzzle. It's easy to fix a screwed up body or electronics, but not a neck. If you can afford it, wait and get something good.

cal0101

Postby cal0101 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:10 am

here is a headstock logo i just came up with: Image

thanks,
Caleb
My 1960 Euro spec VW beetle ragtop

cal0101

Postby cal0101 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:59 pm

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:30 pm

Caleb,
Good score on the Epi neck - I've used those on a few projects and the necks have a nice shape and are well built, especially for the money.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

cal0101

Postby cal0101 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:24 pm

I got the neck in the mail today ad attached it here are some pic's of it:

thanks,
caleb

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”