Whammy won't stay in tune.

leftyjay

Re: Whammy won't stay in tune.

Postby leftyjay » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:53 pm

i had an issue with the acorn nuts touching the pickup cover. it stopped the bridge from rocking and caused a little bit of tuning issues. i reversed the bridge 180 degrees so the nuts are towards the back. you can at least try it and see if that was an issue.

i actually like the nuts towards the back because i can lower the pickup and use a screwdriver to adjust the intonation. once i get it set, i raise the pickup back in place. seems easier that way.
Lefty Mosrite Original USA 65 Mark 1 Sunburst 2010
Lefty Mosrite Original USA 65 Mark 1 CAR 2013
Lefty Fillmore of Classics 65 Mark 1 Black 2006
Lefty Hallmark Custom 60 Pearl White 2012

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:40 am

Okay, I've tried every suggestion here without success. :cry:
Washers: I couldn't find any teflon washers, but I tried regular ones and plastic washers (dipped in vaseline). I can't put washers on both sides as there's not enough room, but I tried both ends and it didn't change a thing. When I put a washer on the lower side it is just hanging in there, not touching anything, so we can skip this washer imho. Hopefully I can find some teflon washers somewhere and I really wish that they'll do the trick.
Turning the bridge 180°: I'm sure the nuts aren't touching the pickup, but I tried this as well. Flipped it over and the issue remains. But thanks for the advice and maybe I'll keep it that way, because it seems more accessible from this side.
The non rolling roller: tried as you suggested, put a string below the roller and tried to use it like a v-belt. It's stuck. Seems like the bracket has been pushed together too close and the roller is stuck. Will try to bend it open gently.
Finally -> Lube: I applied some vaseline on all moving parts involved. I even put a small amount on the zero fret and the head's check rail (is this the correct word?).
Still, when I push the arm down it comes back up to the right spot and the guitar stays in tune. When I pull it up, it seems to get stuck a whole note above the original tone. I wiggle the whammy a lot and this is causing serious trouble, as I can never tell if it falls into the right position...
I will order another spring asap. It's my last hope (apart from the teflon washers). If that won't work I'll have to keep an eye out for a complete new system. :( Or maybe buy a Hallmark Whammy.
One last thing I noticed: when I flipped over the bridge I had a hard time getting it out and putting it back in place. Seems like the bolts that hold it in place are too close to each other (but just a little, not much). I have to be careful to put the bridge on both bolts at the same time, otherwise it gets wedged. But the bridge seems to float like it should...
Any more suggestions? Can I use a regular Bigsby spring as replacement? It will be hard to find an original replacement over here.
Thanks so far to everyone who replied! This kept me going. Even though I haven't been successful by now, it feels good to have an idea what you could do about the issue. I really appreciate your help! Thanks!

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:46 am

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. I still think the main suspect is the coil spring.

FritzCat
Top Producer

Postby FritzCat » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:17 pm

I never thought trems were meant to be pulled up, only pushed down. Besides, pulling up can easily lead to breaking strings. The only other thing I can think of is perhaps the strings aren't stretched out all the way above the string guide or below the bridge.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:40 pm

FWIW, I use the vibrato to both raise and lower pitch. Listen to Hank Marvin, and you'll hear him do it all the time in a "warbling" effect. I wouldn't try to raise the pitch as much as I lower it, but some amount is useful.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:31 pm

MWaldorf wrote:FWIW, I use the vibrato to both raise and lower pitch. Listen to Hank Marvin, and you'll hear him do it all the time in a "warbling" effect. I wouldn't try to raise the pitch as much as I lower it, but some amount is useful.

That's exactly how I use it. And when you're using it a lot, you can't avoid pulling it a little while in action. And that's where my problem occurs... :-(
Anyone has experience with the Bigsby springs as replacement?

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:46 am

SanchoPansen wrote:Anyone has experience with the Bigsby springs as replacement?
Before you do anything drastic (irreversible mods) I suggest doing some experimenting with the coilspring(s) until you have eliminated the tuning issue. If you lift up the whammy bar, the spring should follow snugly, while remaining under tention, ALL THE WAY. If there is slack, the bar cannot return properly to the 'neutral' position by itself. Hope this helps.

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:13 am

Veenture wrote:
SanchoPansen wrote:Anyone has experience with the Bigsby springs as replacement?
Before you do anything drastic (irreversible mods) I suggest doing some experimenting with the coilspring(s) until you have eliminated the tuning issue. If you lift up the whammy bar, the spring should follow snugly, while remaining under tention, ALL THE WAY. If there is slack, the bar cannot return properly to the 'neutral' position by itself. Hope this helps.

Mmh, I already replaced the original coil spring with a different one. This is not an irreversible mod, or do I get this totally wrong?!
You can order coil springs from a Bigsby system für ~7,00 EUR. I think this is worth trying.
But I'm still puzzled. I think this is a misunderstanding?

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:17 am

SanchoPansen wrote:
Veenture wrote:

Mmh, I already replaced the original coil spring with a different one. This is not an irreversible mod, or do I get this totally wrong?!
You can order coil springs from a Bigsby system für ~7,00 EUR. I think this is worth trying.
But I'm still puzzled. I think this is a misunderstanding?
Oops, yes, you are right; definitely a misunderstsanding, on my part. I was thinking a complete Bigsby unit...didn't see "spring" :oops:
Any spring will do, as long as it fixes the problem, I would say ;)

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:37 am

Phew, I thought I messed up something.
Will place an order for a new spring asap and hopefully this will end the tragedy...will keep you guys updated.
Wish me luck... :o

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”