M3 guitars pickup sound samples

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Re: M3 guitars pickup sound samples

Postby Strat-o-rama » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:29 pm

That was very informative, Mel. Thanks for posting it here, and at Surfguitar. Lots of interesting comments at both places.

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:08 am

Way cool demo! I love that classic Mosrite sound and those strat-tones are great too.

stl80
Top Producer

Postby stl80 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:25 am

Very nice.
Jim

mrmomo

Postby mrmomo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:34 am

Great demo and playing, Mel! Such a cool guitar, too.
-John
John Drysdale | Surf Guitarist - Mentor - Instructor | John Drysdale Music
Web Sites: http://www.johndrysdalesurfguitar.com | http://www.johndrysdalemusic.com

woodchuck30
Top Producer

Postby woodchuck30 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:46 am

Haven't been on to much lately, just hapened to catch the demo for the pups, great sounding. still trying to build a decent looking Mosrite, getting closer LOL

Al

AKA woodchuck

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:15 pm

This is a great demonstration, Mel! I also love the lamps and the tiki picture. The Live in Japan tone you get is the most faithful I've heard. I'm gonna say that, while the low power bridge and middle pickup setting is a "Strat" setting, the sound you get is unique. I'm not hearing a Straty tone or even a near-Straty tone that we would hear on an actual Strat with those settings - ala Robert Cray for example. That Straty tone requires the significant additional brightness that is a function of the longer Strat scale length. That said, I much prefer the sound that you get in that bridge-middle pickup lower power setting than the Robert Cray / Mark Knopfler tone. When does your guitar go into production?
-Marty

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:15 am

Ha! I'm certainly no expert on Strat tones - I've never found Strats comfortable to play and I've never owned one - so I'm happy to have a guitar that I do like be able to get in the vicinity of "quack". It's good enough for me as a non-aficionado. Besides I'm after more Hank Marvin than Cray or Knopfler, and I think there's a lot more issues with the exactitude of echo standing in my way than the quantity of quack. Let alone the lack of verisimilitude a Vox AC-30 would alleviate.

Nokie's Live in Japan tone is something I'm much more keen about so I'm glad that it passes muster. I'm nowhere near the level of accuracy of the Ventures tribute bands in Japan - have you seen the M-Ventures? WOW! - but I've got to a point now where the limiting factor is most definitely my playing rather than the tone. :)
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:09 pm

MWaldorf wrote:Ha! I'm certainly no expert on Strat tones - I've never found Strats comfortable to play and I've never owned one - so I'm happy to have a guitar that I do like be able to get in the vicinity of "quack". It's good enough for me as a non-aficionado. Besides I'm after more Hank Marvin than Cray or Knopfler, and I think there's a lot more issues with the exactitude of echo standing in my way than the quantity of quack. Let alone the lack of verisimilitude a Vox AC-30 would alleviate.

Nokie's Live in Japan tone is something I'm much more keen about so I'm glad that it passes muster. I'm nowhere near the level of accuracy of the Ventures tribute bands in Japan - have you seen the M-Ventures? WOW! - but I've got to a point now where the limiting factor is most definitely my playing rather than the tone. :)

Yes, the M-Ventures are fantastic! That half power neck-middle setting really does get you closer to the Hank sound. Especially in comparison to the full power neck-middle setting. It still retains a bit of the Mosrite tone at the same time.

vibramute
Top Producer

Postby vibramute » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:34 am

Mel,

Wow, what a great sounding guitar! It may be "the Ultimate Surf-rite".

What guitar are you using (Mosrite RI, Hallmark, Partscaster)? I never considered a 3 pickup Mos, but now my wheels are turning...

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:23 am

vibramute wrote:What guitar are you using (Mosrite RI, Hallmark, Partscaster)? I never considered a 3 pickup Mos, but now my wheels are turning...

The guitar was custom built by Bill Gruggett under contract from Bob Shade at Hallmark. I've significantly customized it, so at this point the only original parts besides the wood are the tuners, string guide, flip mute bridge, the spun knobs and strap buttons. Pickups, vibrato, pickguard and all the wiring are new, plus I did a speed fret job on it. I also made the "fancy" Meshugga Beach Party headstock veneer. ;)
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”