M3 guitars pickup sound samples

vibramute
Top Producer

Re: M3 guitars pickup sound samples

Postby vibramute » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:41 pm

MWaldorf wrote:
The guitar was custom built by Bill Gruggett under contract from Bob Shade at Hallmark. I've significantly customized it, so at this point the only original parts besides the wood are the tuners, string guide, flip mute bridge, the spun knobs and strap buttons. Pickups, vibrato, pickguard and all the wiring are new, plus I did a speed fret job on it. I also made the "fancy" Meshugga Beach Party headstock veneer. ;)

That is definitely something to be proud of. If I were ever to try my hand at building a Mos influenced guitar, I would do a 3 pickup with your wiring scheme and the M3's. The tones are terrific!

motiersbad
Valued Member

Postby motiersbad » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:04 pm

can someone help me out? i need a wiring diagram for dual tone (coil tap) m3 pickup's.

i have WHITE, RED, BLACK and Ground

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:49 am

@ motiersbad, have you tried contacting M3 for the diagram? he knows best what should be wired where.
Good luck!

cincinnatiharry

Postby cincinnatiharry » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:19 pm

That's a darn fine looking guitfiddle Mel!

How much do M3 Guitars cost? Salivating I am!

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:11 pm

Outstanding demo, Mel.

Good on you and wow, what playing!

reverserite

Postby reverserite » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:36 am

Hello Mel (MWaldorf),

Hearing the sounds in your demo of that 3-PU Mosrite (excellent sounding, definetly +++++), and comparing to what I have on my Oigun Lefty Mosrite (New Lefty topic), which is my first adVenture in the Mosrite world, I have some interrogations...

The PUs made by Oigun are coil-tapered and potted. Here are the DCR measurements, disconnected from the guitar circuit :

BRIDGE :
11.53K HI
8.74K LO

NECK :
11.33K HI
8.52K LO

I notice that these pickups are really not "bright" pickups in either position HI or LO - I thought that Mosrite PUs were a bit brighter, at least like the ones on your demo. Of course, I know that setting on the amp is very important and the strings too (I use 10-52), but nonetheless, the tone is closer to a jazz guitar than to a 60's one... I mean, these PUs are far from a Stat/Tele tone, and even less bright than many of my humbuckers : 1980 GIBSON ES335-TD, GRETSCH Black Top FilterTrons... So :

- When you say "half-power" pickup setting, does it means that the PU is splitted to half the value of its full DCR ?

- What are the settings on your amp about the treble ? Do you really need to push the treble setting further than you would do with, say, a Fender Strat or Tele, or even a humbucker guitar ?

I don't say in any way that my PUs are bad, but I am just surprised to hear that they tend to be less bright than any PUs on my other guitars, and that puzzles me somewhat...

Thanks in advance for your advice and input on that,

A+!

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:46 pm

Those measurements are in the proper ballpark. On the guitar in the video, the pickups read:

Neck 11.02 / 7.61
Middle 11.92 / 7.04
Bridge 12.92 / 8.30

Mosrite pickups are a different animal than Fender single coils or Gibson humbuckers, and you need to set your tone controls differently. On my Showman, I've got the presence at 9, treble at 6.5 and bass at about 4. I've got the outboard Reverb setting at 6/4/6 for tone/mix/dwell for the splashy stuff and dial the mix down for the drier stuff.

What I like so much about the Mosrite pickups is that you can dial in the amp tone stack to get bright attack on the low strings without the high strings getting painfully shrill, as I found to be the case with my Jazzmaster.

Have patience and play around with your amp tone controls.

Good luck!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

ludobag
Top Producer

Postby ludobag » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:19 am

the difference in sound of mosrite style pups (i have m3 on mine) they are more hot then crunch really earlier ,on my little vox ac4 tv ,no clean sound just crunch
on my drri they sound lot darker than my jazzmaster pups
sorry to say that but i am more a jazzmaster guys than a mosrite guy :oops: (du i think cause i play my jazzmaster since a long time and i always go back to it :ugeek: )
for the harsh more present in jazzmaster Mel you can try to change pot value 500 K instead of 1 meg ,on mine i have the rythm circuit with 250 or 500 K (don't remember)with the 2 pups active ,a copy of lead but only change the value of pot
it is better with distortion or overdrive and if sometimes it screams too much with the 1 meg i can go with the upper circuit it tame really the high ;)

reverserite

Postby reverserite » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:22 am

Thanks MWaldorf and ludobag for your input,

My GUN Mosrite had 250K-A on volume and 250K-A on tone pots, initially.

I tested 1M-A on volume and 500K-A on tone pots, but the result was not satisfactory : the sound was more agressive than bright due to a too much increased resonant peak on the pickups, and the tone correction lost its spread.

I lowered to 500K-A the volume pot and returned to 250K-A for the tone pot. I added a 1n0 capacitor accross the volume pot (à la Fender Telecaster 1967). The result is now satisfactory : the guitar has just the brightness that was missing at the start, and doesn't loose it when the volume pot is reduced.

I sent the schematic to oigun (the luthier who made my Mosrite replica) for his information.

A+!

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”