jtr654
Top Producer

Re: Pick-up for Hallmark Batwing

Postby jtr654 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:36 pm

The Freddie & the Drillers videos.

Ready Freddie

Postby Ready Freddie » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:36 am

No, I haven't used Hallmark in our vids so far, I have enough other guitars :)
Freddie & the Drillers
ImageImage
Guitar beat from Saint-Petersburg

jtr654
Top Producer

Postby jtr654 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:50 pm

I know you didn't use the Hallmark in the Videos. I watched them and listen to the tones you are use to getting out of your Guitars.That why I said you might have to ajust your EQ on your amp rather than get new Pickups.

Ready Freddie

Postby Ready Freddie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:36 am

jtr654 wrote:I know you didn't use the Hallmark in the Videos. I watched them and listen to the tones you are use to getting out of your Guitars.That why I said you might have to ajust your EQ on your amp rather than get new Pickups.

I see, in this case the porblem is certainly not in EQ settings, it wouldn't put sound to another
level. In the video I mentioned before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akY2YatYcWI

I can hear almost the same strange "paper" sound as from my Hallmark, it's nothing in
common with what I expected after watching other videos with Hallmark Custom
or Swept Wing. My electromatic Gretsch or korean Epiphone play fine through every combo
I dealt with, but with Batwing it's vice versa.
Freddie & the Drillers
ImageImage

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:04 am

Hello all, Just returned from Canada and saw this thread so let me jump in. First off let me say I am sorry to hear about the tone issue. We will do everything we can to help you get this figured out.

First, we have never heard this tone issue before about the Wing-Bat guitar so let's see if we can figure out if this is a guitar thing or a preferance thing.

The pickup that is in your guitar is wound hot to over 13K and features a set of alnico bar mags. This is the exact same pickup we use in the 60 Custom, and 59 Custom as well and we know people are pleased with the pickup tone .

Questions, do you generally play in the bridge position or other positions that would involve more bass and midrange on your other guitars?

I also noticed you mentioned your Electromatic and Epi guitars. Are these hollow? This would explain alot.

Have you tried the bridge pickup only on these to compare?

One sure cure would be to install a neck pickup and switch. One other option would be to use a wah pedal which is basicly a tone control with a pedal, and set it in the wah mode to your desired tone. Guitarists have used this trick for decades.

If the wah pedal works for you but you do not like having to use the pedal, you could then opt to install a tone control. We could do it here if you like.

One more question, are you getting full power? The pickup should push the amp harder than the Gretsch or Epi. If this is not the case, there could be a electronic issue we need to look at. Please advise on this.

Best, and thanks for the heads up, Bob

Ready Freddie

Postby Ready Freddie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:13 am

Thanks a lot, Bob, for your prompt response! You're right, I almost never play with bridge
pickup only, so it could be the explanation, but still I never got that strange sound from any
of my guitars (some of them are solidbodies). Anyway, as everybody says that it should be fine
I will try other options, maybe other strings etc., maybe I have to find a proper amp (as I know
for Mosrite style pickups it's very important). I must tell that it's probably the best crafted
guitars in my collection, it's pity that there's no neck pickup.

I wonder if I could ask you about another thing - your tremolo is the smoothest and the most
comfortable one I dealt with, but I had a HUGE problem with getting it out of tune on the first
gig, literally after every song I had to tune it. Guitar was not new and I've discoverd that bridge
rollers were a bit rusty and almost didn't roll so I cleaned and oiled them, so now it seems to be
better, but I'm still afraid to use it live. I usually push tremolo alot, so it's quite important part
of playing, so I wonder if there's any known problem with tuning when it's used hard or it was
just a roller bridge problem? Thanks in advance.
Freddie & the Drillers
ImageImage

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:04 am

Hey there! Well like I said we can alway's put a neck pickup in for you. I am sure you would love the sound.

Tuning issue. This one is easy, you simply need to pull the string out of tune and re-tune it until the string is stretched all the way. This takes a little time, but it is necessary if you are going to use the vibrato and bend strings. Try this, and remember, keep at it until it will not go flat anymore on the tuner. Then you will stay in tune.

Thanks and please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Bob

Ready Freddie

Postby Ready Freddie » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:47 pm

Thanks. Unfortunately it's not an easy task for to upgrade guitar as I'm in Russia :)
I've adjusted pup closer to strings, will check how it works on the next gig.
Freddie & the Drillers
ImageImage

Diggey

Postby Diggey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:14 pm

Bob, just curious if you installed a second pickup, would the routing cavity be covered when done with and all signs hidden?

I wish these had the swept wing pickups as an option a
So....... Those things rule as well.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:51 pm

Hey there!

Yes we would route the cavity so when the pickup is mounted, there would be no trace of it having been altered. We would also mount the standard size toggle switch down by the turbine switch. I am sure this would give you the tone you have been searching for.

Anytime you are ready,

Bob Shade
240-473-1157

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”