Black Headstock

Re: Mosrite VIII that Could Be

Postby Black Headstock » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:34 pm

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:28 pm

Hey, Al--

That is a wonderful color. If it was me, I would certainly try to keep that finish.

I know that in the 1970s, a whole bunch of Martins got out of the factory with bridges/saddles in the wrong place.

Weird. You'd think they'd catch something like that.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Black Headstock wrote:The Calif. Grape is reallly awesome; just kills me to strip it away....not to hide, but to show, and place the new (vintage) tailpiece correctly, and that's the original look of this particular Mosrite VIII. (Scars and all showing).
That sounds like a good compromise to me. You get the best of both worlds; the lovely grape AND a bit of real Mosrite history "the Mosrite that was wrong" ;)
Once she's ready for action, the real enjoyment will begin. I bet you can't wait to hear how she will sound. Man, a three-pickup Mosrite must be the Cadillac of Cadillacs 8-)

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Al, you are correct. That is the 'California Grape' in which when Semie was interviewed in
Guitar Player Magazine of 1984 (Jaco was on the front cover), he was quoted as saying that
"this new California Grape will just make your mouth water." A piece of history like this is
probably on the rare side since not that many of us have seen more than one, if even that :roll:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:09 pm

Mistake plate, anyone?

handbrake
Top Producer

Postby handbrake » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:07 am

Neat project. I noticed 'C93' stamped in the p'up routes. Is this body heavier than it appears? I have a 'C93' body from Canada that is plywood and heavy. Paintjob is not transparent, likely to hide the telltale signs. I wonder if yours is similar. Pretty sure your grape is a remnant of the early 90s. But cool all the same. I agree with Mel. Fix it and repaint it the color you always wanted--which could very well be purple.

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:31 am

I'm pretty sure the C93 stamp just indicates factory seconds earmarked for Canada circa 1993. To the best of my knowledge the entire Canadian parts cache is stamped as such, regardless of year or model.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:28 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: Adam, does the one in your picture bear the same 'drill mistake'? I tried to compare the two images and the guitars seem to be twins -with identical drill mistakes :?

Black Headstock

Postby Black Headstock » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:18 am

First, Adam's observation about the "mistake plate" is what I was thinking when I first got it; this would be kinda cool.

Second, Adam! I know you always amaze us with your rare images, but I am blown away this time; is the last image you posted this very guitar!

Paul is right the tailpiece holes are in the very same odd location, and I thought I was doing something really unique by using the white (non-poles) pickups on this Cail. Grape finish. Just really impressively surprised.

OK so, what is the source of your Calif. Grape image with white pickups. (I know you did own a Calif. Grape VIII yourself at one time?).

Great stuff as always guys.

Al.

Black Headstock

Postby Black Headstock » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:21 am

I should just say the body, as Adam's post has a maple neck. Or maybe, the holes just visually read mis-alligned and this is just the way it is from factory? Now, I really do have to get the assembly going to check it out. Still must acquire a vintage roller bridge.

Al.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”