Mosrite MKII Project- looking for advice

Billy rockhead

Mosrite MKII Project- looking for advice

Postby Billy rockhead » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi all,

Wow! First of all I just want to say that this is forum is fantastic; I thought I knew quite a bit about Mosrite’s until I began reading the posts here! Anyway, I’m in the early planning stages of building a MKII clone (…I’m a Ramones fan) and I’m running into some trouble sorting out some of the specifics. Unfortunately, I have never laid my hands on a Mosrite so I hoping that you guys can help me out. Here is what I’m wondering:

1. What is the angle of the headstock on the MKII, and is the truss rod adjustment at the headstock or at the body. Can anyone provide side view of the neck and head stock? (If not a MKII a how about mid 60’s ventures model?)
2. How about the angle of the neck?
3. With respect to the zero fret/ string guide, can these be purchased online? I’m not concerned about authenticity.
I know this is a lot to ask considering this is my first post but any help would be appreciated. Finding this forum, and knowing there is help when I need it, makes me eager to begin working on this project.

Thanks guys.

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Mosrite MKII Project- looking for advice

Postby dubtrub » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:09 pm

I am not personally familiar with a MKII or a Ventures II, but I would suspect many of the measurements I provided in this post would be applicable.
:arrow: Mosrite specs
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:21 pm

Danny, the Mark II was the predecessor to the Mark V, in which, both models were a smaller scale model, more or less, in answer to the Fender Mustang. This Model was a "Student Line" or an Economy Model of the Ventures or Mark I Model. The Mark II was actually the Model that Johnny Ramone picked up for $50!!! (How come I can't find those deals?!?!?!?). There's pix on Tymsguitars Collection......NOTE: No German Carve on the Mark II, but the Mark V did. Also, the strange pickups, as well as the the strange location of the Whammy Bar (Centered)......
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Billy rockhead

Postby Billy rockhead » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:23 am

Hi guys,

Yep, apparently Johnny Ramone used to carry his $50.00 Mosrite around in a shopping bag. Anyway, I thought it would be a good guitar to try to build since its simple looking and there is no german carve. I just wish I could find a lttle more info on the headstock. The headstock doesn't appear to be angled yet there is no string retainer, so i'm guessing that it must be "stepped down" enough to keep adequate tension over the nut...?

Dubtrub... I will be using much of the info you provided in the Mosrite Spec thread. Thanks.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:10 am

Billy,
Check jramonitos under this "HOW TO" Section. He just completed his copy of a Johhny Ramone Guitar, and it's "Bad butt!" He has it listed under "MY COPY." ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”