Finshed Project: Ventures II

Bushers
Valued Member

Finshed Project: Ventures II

Postby Bushers » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:53 pm

Ok, so here it is. After completly stripping (apart from removing the neck) and cleaning this guitar I have here the finished product. I re-chromed the tremelo arm as it was looking pretty tired, replaced the vibrato bar with one from Hallmark and custom made (myself) stepped pins to suit (the holes in the Hallmark piece are .200" dia and the orginals are .190").

I brought back to life the body using Meguiar's Scratch X (photo doesn't really do it justice), a great product that restored the guitar back to its original luster!

Now on to playing, I'm looking forward to every moment I can get on and play! :D

Jason (Bushers)
1965 Ventures II Model ~ #B233

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Finshed Project

Postby dubtrub » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:35 pm

What a beauty! Congrats Jason on restoring it to perfection.

I know you must be proud because that picture is HUGE. :lol: But that's OK, I'd be proud too.
Danny Ellison

Bushers
Valued Member

Postby Bushers » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:17 pm

lol, more clarity/detail in larger sizes! If it was wider than the average screen I'd have made it smaller, originally I had, so for those who dont like to scroll to view it all, enjoy; :D

Jason (Bushers)

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:34 pm

Brother, that came out darn SWEEEEET!!! Nice Job on the Detailing...Meguiars Scratch X, huh..??
Well if your not busy next weekend, I've got a few GTs with some minor scratches that might need.... :roll:
J/K!!! ;) the Menace....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:00 pm

Jason, can you explain a little clearer regarding the step down pins? Are there individual pins on each side of the assembly that the rocker rides on? My experience has only been with a solid pin all the way the rocker. However, I have seen the patent drawings showing individual pins on each side. If that is the case, how do you assemble it with a larger diameter on the rocker and a smaller diameter step down on the bearing side of the assembly? Or, am I totally confused. :shock:
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:23 pm

Bushers,
Looks fantastic! Where did you get the chroming done?
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Bushers
Valued Member

Postby Bushers » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:30 am

dubtrub wrote:Jason, can you explain a little clearer regarding the step down pins? Are there individual pins on each side of the assembly that the rocker rides on? My experience has only been with a solid pin all the way the rocker. However, I have seen the patent drawings showing individual pins on each side. If that is the case, how do you assemble it with a larger diameter on the rocker and a smaller diameter step down on the bearing side of the assembly? Or, am I totally confused. :shock:

Correct, there are 2 pins, one either side of the vibrato. The larger diameter (because I have the Hallmark Vibrato) is installed into the vibrato then the roller bearing onto the shaft and the housing of the tailpiece plate, after that you insert the top pin and then the bearing. Pretty easy install really, as I made the bottom pin tight in the housing (if they're both tight and you cant remove one, you wont get the vibrato out of the tailpiece after removing the bearings) it wont fall out when you're trying to put everything together.

To remove, simply drop out the bearings and pull out one of the pins (top one in my case).

I had the chroming done locally here at C&F Custom chrome, though the guy took forever! I dont think I'd use him again as it wasnt as 'perfect' as I'd like! (as an engineer my standards are pretty high though!)
Jason (Bushers)

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”