Mosrite Clone: Project # 3 Sun Burst

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Re: Another Mosrite clone: Completed

Postby Strat-o-rama » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:15 pm

:shock: Blinded by the beauty!

Please don't quit making your Mo-clones. They are gorgeous! I know that one is for you, but you could be pocketing some coin with your little hobby. I'd buy one of your 'bursts-- Perfect companion to my Hallmark.

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:24 pm

Congratulations, Danny. It's a beauty!

zak

Re: Another Mosrite clone project near completion

Postby zak » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:31 pm

dubtrub wrote:It worked out alright, just not what I wanted.

I dunno....that looks better than a lot of factory sunbursts out there...great job.

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Mosrite clone #3: Completed

Postby dubtrub » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:25 pm

Thanks to everyone for your kind words. :oops:

I just ordered a set of Ed Elliot's Mosrite Bass pickups and band sawed out the body today. I've got all the parts and or material, minus the bridge and tail piece which I'll have to fabricate, so now it's just a matter of enduring the summer heat in my shop to get it built. After that I'm gonna take a long break from building guitars. :)

Thanks to Dennis for supplying all the measurements and sending me tracings of virtually everything needed to build a bass. ;)
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:40 pm

Strat-o-rama wrote::shock: Blinded by the beauty!

Please don't quit making your Mo-clones. They are gorgeous! I know that one is for you, but you could be pocketing some coin with your little hobby. I'd buy one of your 'bursts-- Perfect companion to my Hallmark.

Well, I got to go with Trent on this one Danny, but I also understand if you wish to go that direction.
However, if this IS TO BE your last Mo-clone, I wish to make a 'Motion,' that the last Mo-Clone
is to be documented, with PIX, Step by Step, Phase by Phase, Section by Section, with each update to be
posted on this here Forum. :shock: ....all in Favor, say "I!" :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:56 pm

I second the motion - Danny please document the whole process. There's a bunch of steps that are obvious to those who have made guitars before that are not obvious to the rest of us - ie what tools you use, special jigs you fabricated, any special order of operations (this may be more of an issue with the neck - ie is it better to route for the binding before or after you radius the neck, how to radius the neck, etc) I'd also love any pictures on the metal fabrication process - again what special tools are required, do you stamp, cut, file, etc. I know a bunch of this is general luthiery, but in the ways it applies to Mos-rights it would be great!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:35 pm

I'm completely in the tank with Dennis and Mel on documenting the bass project. I know it's a bit of a PITA, but inquiring minds have got to know.

Maybe when the cool weather returns you'll do another Mark 1 with one of those nice 'bursts you do. ;)

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:03 pm

Mel wrote:
There's a bunch of steps that are obvious to those who have made guitars before that are not obvious to the rest of us - ie what tools you use, special jigs you fabricated, any special order of operations (this may be more of an issue with the neck - ie is it better to route for the binding before or after you radius the neck, how to radius the neck, etc) I'd also love any pictures on the metal fabrication process - again what special tools are required, do you stamp, cut, file, etc. I know a bunch of this is general luthiery, but in the ways it applies to Mos-rights it would be great!

Well, that's "THREE of US" so far.....I/We REALLY think this would be great to add to the
"HOW TO" Section of this Forum. Then anyone that gets the 'bug' to build a Bass or a Guitar,
well....all of us on the Forum, or anyone that stumbles onto the Forum, will have a better chance
with DUBTRUB giving us the instructions "Step by Step, Slowly, We Turn"...........
Signed by:
"Moe, Larry and Curly."
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:25 pm

Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!

So, back to the guitar at hand. Danny, where did you source the pickguard, knobs, switch tip, etc? I assume the fretwire and binding is from Stewmac?

Also would be useful to know what size screws you used for the various parts (vibrato, pickguard, pickups)

Finally, how much of a PITA was it to fabricate the string guide/nut thing? These are hard to come by and you might be able to hock a few of them around here. At least could you share some info on making one?
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:42 pm

Mel wrote:
At least could you share some info on making one?

Uh uh........You can NEVER have "some info" on a FINAL PROJECT..... ;)

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”