Mosrite Clone: Project # 3 Sun Burst

dubtrub
Administrator

Mosrite Clone: Project # 3 Sun Burst

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:49 pm

Today I sprayed the sunburst on my (hopefully last) guitar project that I've been building. This one is built with and alder body and hard rock maple neck, Elliott Mosrite pickups, MIJ Mosrite bridge, Hallmark vibrato and mint green guard. Although I really like my last candy apple red one, I have a hunch this one is going to be my favorite because of the sound. I played it a bunch without the finish. Those Elliott pups are great. ;)

Tomorrow I will wet sand the over spray and start the multiple coats of clear lacquer. It's should only take a couple of weeks in this 100+ degree heat to cure the finish. Then I can wet sand and assemble it. I know you guy's are probably getting sick of me constantly posting about my various projects, so, until I start seeing some other projects being posted I'd better hold off. :lol:

EDITED, 8-7-08: Since this project has been completed I'll post a photo of the finished product.
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: Another Mosrite clone project near completion

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:40 pm

Danny,
Did you take pictures during the sunburst finishing process? How did you do the bands?
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:03 pm

MWaldorf wrote:Danny,
Did you take pictures during the sunburst finishing process? How did you do the bands?
Mel

Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures. I got pre occupied with the project and once I got started I didn't stop. Also, I had nothing but trouble at almost every stage of the painting. My equipment (and me) is getting real tired.

For painting, I have a professional rig that I've had for almost 40 years. I do my 'art work' with an ancient Binks Model 18 spray gun. I first spray the yellow center. Next I spray the red fading into the yellow, then I spray a transparent black edging. The fading into the next color is accomplished by adjusting the spray pattern of the gun's nozzle and air pressure. It's just a matter of technique. But of course having sprayed several hundred finishes during my lifetime helps. BTW, I mix all my colors using pigment toners. That's how I get the transparent colors.

For a first time finisher that doesn't have access to a professional spray rig, there is an excellent guide to do a sunburst finish over on the ReRanch website. Some of those guy's have turned out master pieces.

I always get a chuckle when I read that sunburst finishes on Fender guitars was standard and a solid color cost more and was considered 'custom'. heck, I can do five 'custom' colors in the time it takes to do one sun burst. Most of that time involves total disassembly of the spray gun and cleaning before moving on to the next color.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:10 am

Danny wrote:
I always get a chuckle when I read that sunburst finishes on Fender guitars was standard and a solid color cost more and was considered 'custom'. heck, I can do five 'custom' colors in the time it takes to do one sun burst. Most of that time involves total disassembly of the spray gun and cleaning before moving on to the next color.

You know, I too, could never figure out what the heck Fender was talking about w/their so called "Custom" Finishes. Other than they used different colors available and also sometimes finished the Headstock the same as the body (matching headstock), there really wasn't anything fancy or Custom about the finishes, other than maybe some of the colors. But their application to the bodies and/or headstocks were not any different than them painting their guitars White or Black, with the exception of a few colors, but not enough to validate them as "Custom Colors"...... :roll:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:22 am

I don't think anyone gets tired of hearing about your project guitars. I for one can't wait to see it.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:48 pm

Sounds like another winner. Look forward to seeing the photos after its completion.

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:23 am

Love then project guitars, Danny. And yes. we want pictures!

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:59 am

I've got it finished, assembled, played and now photographed (finally). I've got one more guitar to build then I'm done. The next one will be a bass. As for this one, the pix pretty much tell it all. The color layout didn't turn out the way I wanted as my spray gun needs to be retired. You can see that I had to come in further on the transparent red in the pickup area. Thanks to my spray gun, it shot out some droplets that didn't add anything to the desired effects. Solution was to bring the red in more to cover the mistake. It worked out alright, just not what I wanted. :evil:

Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: Another Mosrite clone project near completion: Completed

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:19 am

Holy cow Danny that looks AMAZING!

So, what do you mean by "I've got one more guitar to build then I'm done" Done with current projects? Done building guitars? ???
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Another Mosrite clone: Completed

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:13 pm

Danny wrote:
You can see that I had to come in further on the transparent red in the pickup area.

Sorry, I like that!!! I think it gives it character!Image
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”