Mosrite Clone: Project # 3 Sun Burst

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Mosrite clone #3: Completed

Postby dubtrub » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:10 pm

eBay is your friend. :lol:

Although StewMac has all the supplies, most everything I get is off eBay. I bought blank pick guard material and cut out my own, rosewood fret board blanks in 3"x3"x3' boards that I rip sawed into 1/4" slabs, fret wire, chrome knobs, pots, switches, chrome switch knobs, tuning keys, strap buttons, truss rods, Maple boards for the necks and Basswood or Alder, all purchased off eBay. Usually I buy several of each items when the prices are right. Just type in 'luthier' on eBay and you can get a lot of hits.

As for doing a chronicled step by step build, that does sound interesting but might get a little boring. I did do that, kinda sorta, on my first build that I posted. That would be the blueburst on the very first post here in the project forum. Personally I enjoy reading about everyone else's projects and maybe interject something of value if I can.

For this bass project I've started, there wont be any templates as this will be a 'one and only'. I did make templates for the Mark 1, so that when or if I did additional builds I would have a time saving template. Plus it makes the necks and bodies interchangable. My blueburst and this current project will be by the seat of the pants project. No templates, just make a paper pattern by tracing around a guitar neck and body, then draw around the pattern right on the wood and cut it out. I do have a simple jig that I made to cut the fret slots. That's about it. Just dive in as Mel is doing on his three pickup guitar project and enjoy the learning process. Right Mel? ;)
Danny Ellison

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”