hardprom, bluebill & LtDave's Leo Tribute

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Re: hardprom, bluebill & LtDave's Leo Tribute

Postby Mr. Bill » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:17 pm

I can't wait for the next installment, I love these how-to posts.

Having worked in a wood shop where we sometimes made foundry patterns, Mahogany was the wood of choice for most patterns, probably because it would fill so well.

We would have made the vibrato plate up of maybe 4 separate pieces. Two flat plates for the bottom, one with the lowered panel cut out of it and shaped before gluing it down to the bottom plate. Then the two side ears for the pivot axle would be cut and shaped before being glued down to the base plate.

bluebill

Postby bluebill » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:33 pm

Thought about doing a lay up pattern but once I did the rough cut I just carried on. This pattern is for 3 pours only. It will be destroyed after I get the best of three along with the base plates I don't use. The only spares will be 3 tone arms for when some drunk grabs the arm and tries to do a dive like Eddie Van..

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:07 pm

Looking good, I didn't read all of the replies but I should tell you about the Vibrato. (The real word for a whammy bar) The Moseley/Vibramute Vibrato has offset holes for the strings. Perhaps someone could post a picture of what I mean.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

hardprom

Postby hardprom » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:20 pm

Bill's got the offset holes worked into the equation. An interesting piece of work, that tremolo.
Image Image Image
(Don't ever leave a harp on the top of your amp or the faeries will have it.)

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:24 pm

hardprom wrote:Bill's got the offset holes worked into the equation. An interesting piece of work, that tremolo.

Alright, Glad to hear. What about the fret size/height, Are you aiming for the same width and height as an original Mosrite (Or close?)

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

hardprom

Postby hardprom » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:28 pm

No... the necks will be the same as my Rickenbackers (a 360/12 strings and a 620/6 string), and the 12-string side strung in reverse like my Ric 12...but both will have the zero fret. I want this guitar to feel the same under my fingers as the two I play most of the time.
It should be pretty interesting...
Image Image Image

bluebill

Postby bluebill » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:46 pm

It will indeed have the Ric feel to the frets and neck scale with the zero fret. It will have the aluminum string guides as the way Mike remembers it. It truly amazes me the little things done on the Mosrite you overlook when you just hold them. The way the Trem is drilled, the bridge assembly, the 12 string stop tail, the way the strings ride on the tuneing posts acting like a string Tee and many other little things that make it a very unique guitar. Even the German carve is subdued but comes through when paint and polish kicks in. Wonderful mix of craftsmanship.

hardprom

Postby hardprom » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:23 pm

Since about all I can contribute to this project is artwork, hardware and enthusiasm, anything I can come up with seems to me like cause for celebration, so here's the latest acquisition(s):

Shipped in from Artie at Front Porch Music in delightful, scenic Bakersfield, Ca....just down the road (apiece) from LtDave43.
And...this just in...the guitar shop called and the remaining 6 MiniGrovers just arrived, so I'll be picking them up in a few minutes! The Care package is getting heavier.
Image Image Image

hardprom

Postby hardprom » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:22 am

They aren't really as yellow as that photo makes them seem...Here they are again, all polished up with the aid of some Macguire's Metal Restorer and my Dremel and shown out in the sunlight away from the yellowing effect of indoor lighting...

Image Image Image

woodchuck30
Top Producer

Postby woodchuck30 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Hi guys, sorry I haven't poped in sooner to complement you on your project your taking on. Yeah like the man said you got some big ones their. Been kind of tied up. Oh yeah, I love scotch, I get hammered on it every now and then :lol: :lol: Good luck be looking for more pics. :)

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”