heavy or light strings for ventures?

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: heavy or light strings for ventures?

Postby Veenture » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:48 am

babiuk wrote:By the way, answering to Pigihangeev, my garage band is from Spain and it´s called The Del Shapiros, http://www.myspace.com/thedelshapiros
You guys play good! ;)

pigihangeev

Postby pigihangeev » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:07 am

I dig your band, I really would have liked to see you at FuntasticDracula (together with Jackie and the Cedrics), but unfortunately me and Alessandra didnt go last year, what a pity (I went there for the previous two events).
You know, with the Hangee V* (my band) we are going to arrange some gigs in Spain around 16-17 april, in Valencia and Benidorm :P

Are you the one with the white teardrop? cool guitars!

Pigi

http://www.myspace.com/thehangeev

IguanaKahuna

Postby IguanaKahuna » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:21 am

Im not a great guitarist, but I like to play some instrumental surf songs with my Yamaha SGV and other kind of styles in a Diamond hollowbody guitar.

I always use .011 roundwound on the hollowbody and used to play 0.11 flatwound on the SGV but it coused me a problem in a tendon (it needed surgery!). So I went to roundwound on the SGV too.

babiuk

Postby babiuk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:25 am

Hi Pigy!

Thanks for your comments, I dig your band too, what a surprise! I don´t have seen you live still but I've listened your recordings time ago and it sounds great, very garage! ;)

I'm not the white teardrop guy, I'm the one with the hollow sunburst vox, the same that The Pandoras used and it sounds better than the white teardrop. I don´t know why but this white teardrop doesn´t sound as 60s as it should,and I have white vox phantoms and they do sound real garage, very strange thing cos the pickups are the same... :?:

Of course Jackie and the Cedrics were spectaculars, the best of Dracula. I´d like to be in Valencia these dates in April to see your band, I hope they are available to me.

Regards

babiuk

Postby babiuk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:57 am

Hi, IguanaKahuna, what a pity your tendon trouble.
It´s a problem for you just only with the flatwounds?

IguanaKahuna

Postby IguanaKahuna » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:16 am

babiuk wrote:Hi, IguanaKahuna, what a pity your tendon trouble.
It´s a problem for you just only with the flatwounds?

I was always a little problem while I was playing the bass, but then when I started to play the SGV with the flatwounds it became something very unconfortable.

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:29 am

Hey!

Sorry about your hand problem, IguanaKahuna.

Odd that you had more problems, if I read your posts correctly, with the flatwounds. I use LaBella flatwounds on all my basses except for my fretless, which has Fender tapewounds on it, and the Ashbory, which has its own special thick silicon strings.

I have a very light touch, though, on both guitar and bass, so maybe that is why I find the flatwounds more comfortable.

I find roundwound bass strings to be very uncomfortable and I don't care for that hi-fi sound that they sometimes have.

Yep; I'm stuck in the '60s!!!

Best of luck!

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

babiuk

Postby babiuk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:42 am

JimPage wrote:
I find roundwound bass strings to be very uncomfortable and I don't care for that hi-fi sound that they sometimes have.

Yep; I'm stuck in the '60s!!!

Totally agree with the hifi sound!
Me too stuck in 60s I suposse...

pigihangeev

Postby pigihangeev » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:09 am

babiuk wrote:Hi Pigy!

Thanks for your comments, I dig your band too, what a surprise! I don´t have seen you live still but I've listened your recordings time ago and it sounds great, very garage! ;)

I'm not the white teardrop guy, I'm the one with the hollow sunburst vox, the same that The Pandoras used and it sounds better than the white teardrop. I don´t know why but this white teardrop doesn´t sound as 60s as it should,and I have white vox phantoms and they do sound real garage, very strange thing cos the pickups are the same... :?:

Of course Jackie and the Cedrics were spectaculars, the best of Dracula. I´d like to be in Valencia these dates in April to see your band, I hope they are available to me.

Regards

Hollow sunburst is great as well, Marcello our 2nd guitar got the Starstream with built-in fx, awesome!!!
Will let you know when confirmed our dates, hope we meet us there (even is not so near) ;)

ciao

Pigi

IguanaKahuna

Postby IguanaKahuna » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:27 am

My problem was with the guitar. With bass it was ok. I use roundwound on my basses (I liked flatwounds just in the Danelectro LongHorn). The problem started with I bought this guitar with flats on it. My finger was doing presion over the neck all the time right in the angle of the neck (may be was my fault using a bad hand possition).

Surgery was in past april and I totally forgot about the problem.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”