Photo's of Mosrite wiring

dubtrub
Administrator

Photo's of Mosrite wiring

Postby dubtrub » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:57 am

For reference: Here's a couple of photo's depicting the wiring of the pot's on 60s vintage Mosrites. From all of my scanning through various photo's from all over the internet, apparently Mosrite used this same layout for virtually all of their single neck guitar's of the 1960s. I'll add some pics of the toggle switch later.

:arrow: See Wiring diagram here.

Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Photo's of Mosrite wiring

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:40 am

:shock: Why is one at 50V, and yours is at 200V?? :? :?
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:55 am

Dennisthe Menace wrote::shock: Why is one at 50V, and yours is at 200V?? :? :?

The voltage doesn't make any difference only the resistance value is important. I'm sure Mosrite used what ever was available for the best price when ordering quantity. For restoring to original specs, finding .05 capacitors isn't as easy as the commonly used .047, which will work fine it just won't be an authentic replacement. BTW, I found a source and ordered (20) .05 caps in case anyone is restoring an original and needs one. Some sellers on eBay take advantage of folks not really into searching the internet for these .05 ceramic disc caps and wind up paying $10-$15 each. I think I paid something like $3 for the lot of twenty.

Also, you can see that there was no consistency in the use of brands of potentiometers. I'd bet their values are inconsistent as well. So far I've found that Stackpole, CTS, Dimarzio and a couple of others that I cannot identify have been used.
Danny Ellison

Bushers
Valued Member

Postby Bushers » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:14 pm

Might need to buy one of those off you Danny, cant remember while I had mine apart but it wasnt like these shown here! I also know that my volume pot was replaced so am looking for an original, looks like thats the last thing left, everything else should come together by the middle of this week! :D
Jason (Bushers)
1965 Ventures II Model ~ #B233

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:25 pm

I just ordered those caps, Jason, so I haven't received them yet. PM me you address and I'll send you one when they arrive.
Danny Ellison

Bushers
Valued Member

Postby Bushers » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:20 am

Ok, took a couple of photos of the wiring on my Mosrite, you can see that the volume pot has been replaced (on the lookout for one!) and the capacitor is different to the ones seen in your photos (not original!).

Also, the paint question thats been ongoing, is it cream/is it a faded pearl?! You can see that the pockets have exactly the same tone of paint, I will still try the buffing route (on an area not visible) to see if the pearl is underneath the fade, although I'm still not sure on this one, would there ever have been requests for paint colour?

Jason (Bushers)

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:33 pm

Jason,

I just got the second batch of capacitors and they appear correct in size and color with one little exception. They have the (semi) proper markings but an added marking stating Mexico. As I told you in a PM, the other batch was way undersized and only had a mfg code stamped on them. I will send the caps out tomorrow. If the printed word 'Mexico' bothers you as being non-authentic, just turn the printing side down. Or, I think the word Mexico can probably be removed with finger nail polish remover using a Q Tip.

I purchased couple of newer made 500 ohm CTS pots that I'm going to use along with one of these caps on my '66 blackie. I will flip the cap over to hide the lettering and solder the connections over the lettering on the pots. At least everything will look original until examined closely.

Edited: Dennis brought to my attention in a PM about current pots being made in the orient. I had better clarify my post. When I said newer made pots, I meant newer than the 60's and not correct for a '66. The pots I bought off eBay are from the 80s. So, I'm just saying they are still not correct for a 60s Mosrite but have the older 'used' appearance. Same goes for the capacitors. At least when you raise the hood it doesn't jump right out at you that things have been re done.
Danny Ellison

Bushers
Valued Member

Postby Bushers » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:55 am

Danny,

Many thanks! Just need to keep my eyes open for a pot to replace the volume one I have that isnt original and looks way out of place (even though it's 'under the hood' as you say!)
Jason (Bushers)

Dantana

Re: Photos of Mosrite wiring

Postby Dantana » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:57 am

Does anyone have a photo, diagram, or description of how the 3-way toggle switch is wired? That is the last step in my build and I want to get it done (and done right!). It's not clear enough to see in the pic above.

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Photos of Mosrite wiring

Postby dubtrub » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:37 am

Dantana wrote:Does anyone have a photo, diagram, or description of how the 3-way toggle switch is wired? That is the last step in my build and I want to get it done (and done right!). It's not clear enough to see in the pic above.

Click on the blue words 'See the wiring diagram here' with the yellow and black arrow pointing at it in my first post.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”