Eliminate string post movement

dubtrub
Administrator

Eliminate string post movement

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:36 pm

At one time I purchased a MIJ Mosrite Excellent bridge from Zamm Inc and the string posts/saddles rattled and could be rocked sideways. On the old Mazzrite forum there were several owners of Japanese Mosrites experiencing this problem also. So, I set about to find a remedy. Although this is very elementary, it definitely cured the problem. If the thin white line around the base of the saddle annoy you, I guess the material for the 6-pack Coke handle would work as well. However, once it's assemble and stung up on the guitar it's not noticeable.

As you can see (although not clearly) in the photograph, after disassembly, I glued a paper shim of business card thickness onto the bottom of the saddle post, using cyanoacrylate (Hot Stuff or Super Glue) glue. After the glue set, I then used a pair scissors and trimmed the excess paper around the post. It may be a tight fit to reinstall the intonation screws when putting it back together, but the tighter the better.

Danny Ellison

Hydra19
Valued Member

Re: Eliminate string post movement

Postby Hydra19 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:33 am

just to note, my Fillmore 1963 reissue came with these installed but they were from some sort of aluminium paper, like chocolate wrapper. I've since lost one of them, and use the one without on one of the E strings as I notice those move less.

mark1
Top Producer

Postby mark1 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:56 pm

I had the same problem with the guitar I got from Zamm . I did the same as dubtrub but I used self sticking aluminum shielding tape . Being that the tape is silver it's almost impossible to see .

juan_10
Valued Member

Postby juan_10 » Wed May 21, 2014 5:50 pm

I too have this problem with my Mosrite Ranger model ... particularly the G and B posts .. I read on here that you could use some of that really thin brass or copper sheet that gets used for photo etching from model shops. Not that it is sooo bad that I have done anything about it , I just try to play a little more delicately when using the Mosrite anyway ...

eventually I will fix it , so it's great to read about your solutions :-) may all your strings stay in tune .

Curly

Postby Curly » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:33 pm

I had the same problem with my Bass when playing harder/faster. Anyway I came up with same solution but simply "flocked" the bottom of the posts with the flocking material (black). I figured this would be both tight but also slide when adjustments might become necessary. Been quite a while now and it works great.

Vance Directive

Postby Vance Directive » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:56 am

Describes my problem to a "t". I will go get my heater duct tape roll and stick some under the posts on the G & B strings.

juan_10 wrote:I too have this problem with my Mosrite Ranger model ... particularly the G and B posts .. I read on here that you could use some of that really thin brass or copper sheet that gets used for photo etching from model shops. Not that it is sooo bad that I have done anything about it , I just try to play a little more delicately when using the Mosrite anyway ...

eventually I will fix it , so it's great to read about your solutions :-) may all your strings stay in tune .

Vance Directive

Postby Vance Directive » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:39 am

OK: I did what is described here and it seems to work. I used a utility knife to trim the aluminum tape flush with the edge of the post and its completely invisible. No more bridge saddle buzz! Yay! Love My Excellent Mosrite! (Sounds of Quincy Jones' "Soul Bossa Nova")

Vance Directive wrote:Describes my problem to a "t". I will go get my heater duct tape roll and stick some under the posts on the G & B strings.

juan_10 wrote:I too have this problem with my Mosrite Ranger model ... particularly the G and B posts .. I read on here that you could use some of that really thin brass or copper sheet that gets used for photo etching from model shops. Not that it is sooo bad that I have done anything about it , I just try to play a little more delicately when using the Mosrite anyway ...

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:15 pm

Danny Ellison

Picure

Postby Picure » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:58 am

I have been thinking of doing the same thing but would this effect tone/sustain?

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”