How to cut a string nut?

MWaldorf
Site Admin

How to cut a string nut?

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:15 am

OK, I'm working on my V3 project, and this one has me a bit puzzled. I've got a string guide/nut thing that's already been notched, but it's a full cylinder. Obviously I need to cut it to size. Judging from my '66, I need somewhat less than half. So, this cylinder I've got is brass. What's the best way to cut this in half? Once it's in half I figure I'll use hand files to shape it. My guess on cutting in half right now is a dremel, but is there some other tool I should use?

Thanks!

Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: How to cut a string nut?

Postby dubtrub » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:28 pm

First of all you'll need to determine how much metal to take off to make the flat side fit properly. If you take off too much and the string guide sits too low obviously you'll have a problem with the strings slipping out of the slotted guide. Next you don't want it to be to high as the string will be lifted above and off the zero fret.

There are a multiple ways to cut the flat sides. Probably use what ever works best for you. My preferred method is to clamp it standing vertically in a vise with the jaws leather padded, then use a hack saw and cut along the length down to the vise jaws. Then flip it around and saw from the other end to meet the area you just cut. leave plenty of material so that it can be hand filed down to the final height or depth in accordance to the zero fret. I use a thin metal ruler that I lay across the zero fret into the fret guide slots to determine the correct amount that needs dressing off the bottom. You want the string to rest 'on' the zero fret with the slots in the guide used only as a guide, not as a nut.

Or......You can use a bench grinder to ground away one side to make it flat. Grinding gets hot real fast so you have clamp it with something to hold it while grinder. Keep a can of water close by to continue quenching it as it gets hot. Or......you can clamp it in a vise and file till your hearts content, or worn out.

Also, depending on which method you choose to mount it, you may have to make a flat side on the back of the guide where it meets up against the fretboard. I have seen these guides mounted two ways. One, flat side against the fretboard, the other, an angled notch cut all the way across the edge of the fret board so that the rounded edge of the guide fits back into it. This is obviously a lot more work as Semie dropped this method in '64. But it does make for a clean looking installation.

When it's ready to be permanently installed after painting, use a little bit of glue to secure it in place or else it will never stay in tune.
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:40 pm

Thanks Danny. I'll probably give the vice & hacksaw route a try. Hack that I am, I'm familiar with a hacksaw :)

The guide on my '66 has the guide filed to have the guide edge flush with the fretboard. It does look nice, but I'll have to see how much space is alloted for the guide on the neck I get, as the last neck was cut for a full semi-circle.

As an aside, I've never seen a brass string guide before, I've only seen the aluminum ones. (? they're silvery, I'm guessing they aluminum) Strange things at the bottom of the Moseley parts bin.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:53 pm

MWaldorf wrote:As an aside, I've never seen a brass string guide before, I've only seen the aluminum ones. (? they're silvery, I'm guessing they aluminum) Strange things at the bottom of the Moseley parts bin.

From 1964 on they were all nickel plated brass. At least on all the ones I've seen or worked on. Just like tuning key heads, they tarnished and become dull appearing to be aluminum. The very early Mosrites, back when Semie was hand making a lot of parts had aluminum string guides.
Danny Ellison

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:17 am

Mel, while searching the various site I came across this photo that depicts what I was trying to describe in my above post about the string guide. Although it is painted wood and more than a little exaggerated, it does give a clear view of how the zero fret is actually the nut that the strings ride on and the guide is just there to keep the strings from slipping out of position. Click on the image for a larger view of the string guide.
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:25 am

Thanks Danny. Fortunately I've got my '66 as a template for cutting the guide. But how did you find that picture? Not reading Japanese, navigating Fillmore's site is an adventure.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”