Mosrite Pickups by Elliot vs Hallmark

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Re: Mosrite Pickups by Elliot vs Hallmark

Postby sleeperNY » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:42 am

Strat-o-rama
I have no idea of the origin of the tune. My cousin used to play it and I have never heard it by anyone else. I learned it from him back in the late 60's. He passed away in 68. It is a great tune and the only recording I have that was made in a studio.

It was recorded in the 80's using both pickups and with a Standell Super Imperial amp. 2 15" JBL's

All other tunes were done with a Gretsch 6122-59. Recorded in a hurry but all but 1 came out ok.
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:47 am

Strat-o-rama wrote:Jim,
Twilight Over Texas is real nice! Care to detail amp used, pickup combination? What is the origin of the tune? It's a really nice instro.

I agree with Strat-o-rama, very nice arrangement. Reminiscent of the steel guitar and could be the flip side of 'Blue Hawaii'.

Jim, what capacitor or you using. Listening to your last recording, your Hallmark seems to have that Mosrite sound. I too am using 500 ohm pots. I'm using .047 cap. Oddly enough, I could not read the values on my '64 due to the solder covering the information. So I measured it with a multimeter. There reading I got was 244 ohms. The pots and cap have been replaced in my '66, so I haven't a clue what it originally had. I went with the 500 pot and .047 cap as are in the rest of my guitars. The '64 has an .05 capacitor.

Strat-0, I don't think it's the wood at all as I have tried the various combinations in a couple of them and it's the same results. But listening to Jim's recording his Hallmark has that Mosrite sound. Hopefully someday Artie will get a Hallmark 60 in his store and I try one. Meantime I believe the Hallmark has to be the best buy on the market for a Mosrite clone. When he comes out with a sunburst side jack version, that will probably be the ultimate finale.
Danny Ellison

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:12 pm

Please let me clarify the guitar used in that recording.. It was NOT the Hallmark but was in fact a mid 60's Ventures Mosrite and the recording was made back in the 1980's long before the 60 Custom was made.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:41 pm

That was interesting about the pick-up swap, Danny. I have nothing to compare my Hallmark to in the way of a real Mosrite from the '60's...or even the late 80's, so I like hearing appraisals/feedback from folks like yourself and sleeperNY.
Also, when I last spoke to Bob Shade he said he was seriously considering a sidejack version for the first half of '09, but I had the feeling he had not yet really committed to it. He also mentioned custom finishes like quilted tops and zebra tops, but mentioned the pricing on special maple wood is going up rapidly. But like you stated, for the money, it comes closest to the real thing.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”