Mosrite 'Knock Off' Project #6 double neck

dubtrub
Administrator

Mosrite 'Knock Off' Project #6 double neck

Postby dubtrub » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:10 pm

This guitar project will be number six in the series of builds that I have shared here on the forum. This guitar will be a bound body, set necks, side jack, mistake plate vibrato set into the body, with wooden pickup covers, finised in three tone sunburst. For those that have been around the form for a while you may recall :arrow: Damon67's double neck Mosrite that Bob Shade and Johnny restored last year. This will be the basic guitar I am duplicating. Since we already have Ed Elliott's wonderful photo essay chronicling each step of the building process, I will only be posting a few photo's as the guitar progresses. For additional information regarding my other projects, click on the Mosrite logo in my signature line at the bottom of any of my postings.

As depicted in these two photo's the body and the necks are rough cut. The truss rods I made are sitting on top of each neck. Although the horn on the upper bout appears to extended it is simply the illusion from the angle the photo was taken.

EDITED: This is a photo of the finished guitar. More photo's can be found by clicking on :arrow: page 10.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Mosrite 'Knock Off' Project #6 double neck

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:14 pm

GO BABY GO!! ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:17 pm

I've been looking forward to this!
Please post pics as you move along. Suggestion; no one ever posts step by step spraying of a Mosrite style 'burst. That great big double neck should serve the basis for an excellent tutorial ;)
Danny, how many pieces glued together for the body, and what are you using for wood?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:23 pm

Strat-o-rama wrote:Danny, how many pieces glued together for the body, and what are you using for wood?

The body is two piece Alder center seamed and the the neck are two piece Maple also center seamed. I'll try to remember to photograph the finish when the time comes.
Danny Ellison

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:28 pm

Looking good Danny.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:43 pm

Gee Danny, what a surprise...and how special; don't think I've seen a doubleneck like this before...in the rough. Look forward in following your build :shock:

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:54 pm

Yahoo!!!

Great to see this one under way! So, what will you be using for pickups? What about the vibrato and bridges?
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

EFElliott
Top Producer

Postby EFElliott » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:59 pm

Hey Danny,

Looks like your off to a Great start!

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Ed Elliott

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:28 pm

Thanks for all the encouragement. ;)

This time I decided to approach the project a little differently. I actually drew a set of full size plans to scale to ensure everything fit properly. It's a good thing I did it this way as I about wore out my eraser. :lol:

The way I drafted the plans allows to use standard pickups with bezel rings or as in this particular build, the elongated narrow wooden pup covers.

Mel, I am replacing the Hallmark pups in my Candy Apple Red custom with a set of Elliott's. I will then encase the Hallmarks in the wooden cover. Since I have two set of Hallmarks 60s pups, that leave one extra that I may duplicate Deke's single pickup Mosrite. BTW, I am gearing up to try my hand at building pickups from scratch. I haven't wound any pickups since 1966. I'd like to duplicate the Carvin AP-6 pup.

Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:10 pm

dubtrub wrote:The way I drafted the plans allows to use standard pickups with bezel rings or as in this particular build, the elongated narrow wooden pup covers.

Mel, I am replacing the Hallmark pups in my Candy Apple Red custom with a set of Elliott's. I will then encase the Hallmarks in the wooden cover. Since I have two set of Hallmarks 60s pups, that leave one extra that I may duplicate Deke's single pickup Mosrite. BTW, I am gearing up to try my hand at building pickups from scratch. I haven't wound any pickups since 1966. I'd like to duplicate the Carvin AP-6 pup.

Wow! Are you going to make the wooden covers yourself? What about the vibrato? Will you make your own or use the Hallmark 59 Custom unit (or something else?)

So, for winding your own pickups, will you make the AP-6 type covers as well?
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”