Mosrite Restoration (Part I)

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Mosrite Restoration (Part I)

Postby Desert Surfer » Mon May 05, 2008 7:19 pm

Mosrite Restoration
The magic work of Danny Ellison

Danny Ellison is a retired detective from the Police Department in Bakersfield, CA, and like myself, a lover of Mosrite guitars. Ellison grew up in Bakersfield during the late 1950s when Semie Moseley first set up a small guitar workshop there. Located just across the street from Ellison's elementary school, Mosrite's workshop was well-frequented by the young Ellison. After school, Ellison would spend his afternoon watching the guitar maker at work. The two soon became friends. In 1965, when Ellison returned from military service, Ellison worked for Semie, learning the craft of painting and finishing guitars.

In 2007, Ellison discovered a 1966 model Mosrite. The guitar was weathered with age and almost beyond recognition. Ellison subsequently decided to purchase the relic, and restore it to its original condition. The following images are the results of what I call "the magic work of Danny Ellison."

Having worked on a few guitar projects before, as well as having firsthand experience in Mosrite workshop, Ellison had become quite handy in the craft of guitar making.

His previous guitar projects included a Fender Jazzmaster and Jazz Bass made from scratch. Ellison, however, still wished to return to his childhood favorite, the Mosrite.

Subsequently, when he found the vintage Mosrite, Ellison was determined to restore the guitar to its original condition. Like a detective, the former Bakersfield sheriff began the task of researching the history of the guitar. Careful study yielded the exact serial number, component parts, and other specifications: the S/N (4129),the dating on the neck and pots, all conformed. Ellison concluded that the guitar was in fact, the 1966 Mosrite guitar as used by the surf group, the Ventures.

The residue under the neck joint indicated that the original finish was a sunburst color.
The neck, body, and basic construction were in fairly good condition. The fret work was average. The turners were all original and in good working condition

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Re: Mosrite Restoration (Part II)

Postby Desert Surfer » Mon May 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Mosrite Restoration (Part II)

The pickups were also original, and in working condition. The bridge was functional. The vibra mute was fine, the tremolo, however, was missing. Ellison therefore decided to replace the trem arm, creating the arm from scratch.

After testing the pickups, Ellison found that the sound quality was still exceptional. The final step that remained was the refinishing of the guitar.

Knowing that the guitar was indeed a 1966 Ventures Mosrite guitar, Ellison placed the final touches on the guitar: a pair of "Mosrite" and "Ventures" decals, confirming the authenticity of his masterpiece. Even the most experienced collector will have a difficult time discerning the difference.

I discovered the restoration masterpiece, and bought the guitar from Bakersfield, CA. This image is my new 1966 Mosrite guitar, as restored by Mr. Danny Ellison.

The back of the restored Mosrite.

The original 1966 Mosrite case, also restored. (with replaced handle)

Written by Desert Surfer http://www.timelineguitars.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Mosrite Restoration (Part I)

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 06, 2008 5:51 pm

I lost the bid on another fixer upper on eBay a couple of weeks ago that is was in much worse shape than this one, it went for over $1300. It was the earlier Vibramute version.
Danny Ellison

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue May 06, 2008 8:04 pm

dubtrub wrote:I lost the bid on another fixer upper on eBay a couple of weeks ago that is was in much worse shape than this one, it went for over $1300. It was the earlier Vibramute version.

Danny

Danny: If you are in the mood of restoration again, should I e-mail you if I see a good potential fixers on eBay? I'd love to buy more "Semi" Mosrites from you. :mrgreen:

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 06, 2008 8:22 pm

I 'hawk' eBay frequently, I doubt I would miss a good priced one. If I would have won the bid on the one I spoke of above, I would have popped the frets and replaced them with standard size. I like the slender neck profile of a Mosrite, I just don't like having the frets filed down level with the fret board. I don't care for the feel of my fingers digging into rosewood.
Danny Ellison

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue May 06, 2008 8:37 pm

dubtrub wrote:I 'hawk' eBay frequently, I doubt I would miss a good priced one. If I would have won the bid on the one I spoke of above, I would have popped the frets and replaced them with standard size. I like the slender neck profile of a Mosrite, I just don't like having the frets filed down level with the fret board. I don't care for the feel of my fingers digging into rosewood.

Danny

No, I never bid on fixers as I am not talented nor have the knowledge of restoring them. I have tried quite a few vintage Mosrites at the local guitar stores. None of them sound as good as your '66. Only one I might be interested is a 67 Joe Maphis V2 model.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed May 07, 2008 8:12 am

dubtrub wrote:I 'hawk' eBay frequently, I doubt I would miss a good priced one. If I would have won the bid on the one I spoke of above, I would have popped the frets and replaced them with standard size. I like the slender neck profile of a Mosrite, I just don't like having the frets filed down level with the fret board. I don't care for the feel of my fingers digging into rosewood.

Danny

Danny, I'm with you 1,000 per cent!!! Although I SHOULDN'T HAVE, I don't care. I HAVE REPLACED my frets on my guitars. I don't care. THEY ARE MY GUITARS. I am not selling them. THEY ALSO ARE my players. These guitars are not locked up in a Vault with the exception of one. I take these to gigs, and PLAY THEM. You only live once, and it's going to be me playing them :mrgreen: .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Strat-Daddy

Postby Strat-Daddy » Sun May 11, 2008 12:50 pm

That's the project that Danny sent pictures of, that re-kindled my interest in Mosrites! That's one gorgeous guitar! ;)
I'd say he hasn't lost his touch!

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Mosrite Restoration (Part II)

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun May 18, 2008 11:10 am

Desert Surfer wrote:The original 1966 Mosrite case, also restored. (with replaced handle)

Danny, when you get back, I need to talk to you about possibly restoring an old Mosrite Case :mrgreen: .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”