Headstock angle?

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: Headstock angle?

Postby MWaldorf » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:51 pm

Here're some pictures of my parts-rite neck before I did the shaping and profile. You can clearly see that the base of the heel is angled compared to the plane of the fretboard. You can also see the headstock angle and scoop, as well as the volute. While this neck is from near the end of the Mosrite production run in the 90s, it has the same basic features as the 60s models.

Fender necks, by comparison, have a heel that is parallel to the fretboard, so you need to install shims to get any neck angle. I've had to do this to my Jaguars and Jazzmaster to make the mutes work.

Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:01 pm

Nice example Mel, ...here's the pic of Eddy's 4 neck outlines on wood:
EFElliott wrote: I've drawn out the side profile and heading back to the bandsaw.

popp

Postby popp » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:17 pm

thank you so much for the footage and your brilliant answers, i begin to understand :shock: ...

just one thing that irritates me... dubtrub posted a thread with infos and specs for building a mosrite here:
http://www.mosriteforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=85

he measured the neck angle of an original Mosrite Ventures model and the headstock angle seems to be 7 degrees...

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:01 am

I've only got 1 mosrite but 2 reissues and the neck and neck angles are different on all of them.
The '66 mosrite has a less of a slant of the headstock while the 1963 reissue has the highest slant. the 1964 reissue is in between.

I have some playability problems on the' 63 reissue and thinking it's at the zero fret I have noticed that the 1963 reissue has a very very low break angle of the strings over the string guide while the '66 and '64 reissue has a steeper break angle. I think this contributes to the '63 feeling like it has really loose strings, I use .009s, they feel like .007s

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”