Semi - Mosrite?

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Semi - Mosrite?

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:09 pm

Oh Oh! :o This is MORE than only once,that you suggested
that you like this one Mel....I see MODS in your future ;) ....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:18 pm

Am I that transparent? Yes, that's pretty much what I want. If there were room for a middle pickup on a hallmark, I would have simply modified one of those, but it doesn't look like there is without moving the bridge pickup closer to the bridge.

So, yes, I imagine that at some point I'll try to make new body for this guitar that resembles the one Semie's holding in the photo. Someday...

Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:57 pm

MWaldorf wrote:Am I that transparent? Yes, that's pretty much what I want. If there were room for a middle pickup on a hallmark, I would have simply modified one of those, but it doesn't look like there is without moving the bridge pickup closer to the bridge.

So, yes, I imagine that at some point I'll try to make new body for this guitar that resembles the one Semie's holding in the photo. Someday...

Mel

Well, you got the perfect template to get started :mrgreen:
Catch ya all later, I'm late to a Gig :shock: ......
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:37 pm

OK, so I was planning on waiting until spring, but a few good days of weather came along and I got busy...

I bought some rubbing compound at the hardware store and with my handy power drill and a foam buffing bit, I worked back the finish on the front of the body to lighten it up. Once I did that I put on a few passes of the edge color and then a bunch of clear coats. Then I polished it up with polishing compound on a wool buffing bit, and got a decent shine on it. Here's the body:

Then, I was one of the lucky ones to land one of the string guides that Andy Moseley was selling. It turns out these are a bit wider than the MIJ one I had, and it was a perfect fit for my neck:

Here is the guitar assembled:

And a close up of the body:

Finally, posing with my '66. They look pretty good together!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:58 pm

MWaldorf wrote:Finally, posing with my '66. They look pretty good together!
Great job, Mel. They do look good together. ;)

Did you spray the back of the neck with the amber tint?

Send me a tracing of the control cavity marking the screw hole locations and I'll cut out a black cover plate for it.
Danny Ellison

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:40 pm

That is a great job .... glad it's all come together for you - and I really like that dark burst ...

Dennis

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:39 pm

Thanks for the compliments, guys! This was a heck of a learning experience, and I look forward to making lots of noise with this guitar.

Danny, yes, I tinted and lacquered the whole neck with the exception of the fretboard, which I taped off. So, the sides of the fretboard do have tint and lacquer so there isn't an edge there. I was able to polish it up pretty smooth so it feels nice to play moving up and down the neck.

Also, I will gladly take you up on that offer for a control panel cover - I didn't do a terribly even job on mine!

Thanks again and happy holidays to all!

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:14 am

Mel, That looks great. I was also one of the lucky winners of the string guide that Andy was selling and it was also a perfect fit for my guitar.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:17 pm

sleeperNY wrote:Mel, That looks great. I was also one of the lucky winners of the string guide that Andy was selling and it was also a perfect fit for my guitar.

Jim

Jim,

One the string guide you got, is the string spacing even? As you can see in the picture above, the B string slot is closer to the G string than the E string. Nothing terrible, just interesting.

Mel

stain...

Postby stain... » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:09 pm

Wow !!! that Looks great!!! Good job Mel !! . What a great help!!! I have parts rite that I need to start ... this is gonna help so much!!! I love this forum!! :D :D :D super coolest..

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”