Semi - Mosrite?

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Semi - Mosrite?

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:54 pm

Usually when you get a rattle in the saddles of a Mosrite bridge the problem is the side ways movement of the bridge posts. Tightening the acorn nut usually results in bending in the side walls of the bridge base and the rattle returns. It is only made of heavy sheet brass. The rattle is caused by the distance from the bottom of the saddle to the bridge base. That's why Japanese Mosrite, Hallmark and the later Semie made Mosrites have some type of locking method to tighten the individual saddles. For a simple and 'no cost' permanent cure, try the paper shim method I detailed a few months ago in another thread. I'd post the link but if you search the threads you find more valuable answers that have already been covered in depth before. ;)
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:16 pm

oipunkguy wrote:one my mosrites, I've eliminated the rattle just by tightening the acorn nut onto the saddle screw. problem solved. the only time it over becomes an issue is after a long period of playing (several months) I have to tighten them up again. the only thing is I just make sure my intonation is on first, cuz it makes it a little hard to adjust the saddle once it's that tight.
have you guys ever had similar experiences?

That's what I have done in the past, is to tighten the acorn nut, and yeah, problem solved.
That's why I couldn't understand what all this 'shake, rattle and roll' was all about :lol: .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:00 pm

That's what I have done in the past, is to tighten the acorn nut, and yeah, problem solved.
That's why I couldn't understand what all this 'shake, rattle and roll' was all about :lol: .

I don't know if I would like the metal bar version on the mosrite bridge. it takes away a lot of space for intonation proposes.

anyone ever used the MIJ mosrite bridge with the screws mounted going into the saddle to tighten them up?
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:17 pm

oipunkguy wrote:That's what I have done in the past, is to tighten the acorn nut, and yeah, problem solved.

I don't know if I would like the metal bar version on the mosrite bridge. it takes away a lot of space for intonation proposes.

anyone ever used the MIJ mosrite bridge with the screws mounted going into the saddle to tighten them up?

I'm guessing these are the ones that tighten from the bottom? Because I unfortunately, do not own a Japanese Mosrite.....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:44 pm

oipunkguy wrote:That's what I have done in the past, is to tighten the acorn nut, and yeah, problem solved.

Aaron,
The bar behind the bridge still leaves plenty of room for intonation. In fact I was able to set the intonation with mine by matching the saddle placement on my '66, and it was dead on with no further adjustments required.
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:31 am

The Hallmark bridge also has the screws going into the saddle. Works like a charm.

Dennis

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”