Semi - Mosrite?

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Semi - Mosrite?

Postby dubtrub » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:08 pm

Dennis, it's in my post at the top of the previous page. Just click on 'Mosrite VIII' (letters are in blue).
Danny Ellison

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:12 pm

Dennis, it's towards the bottom of page 1. It is not the guitar by itself. In one shot, Tord is holding it posing with Semi. The second shot would show more detail. It's the "americana" shot of the guitar with Semi and Loretta. Tord took the picture.

edit to add after Danny's comment: the picture of the black Vlll is much more detailed, showing front and back.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:36 pm

The Victory III (Vlll) had the German Carve, Humbucking P'ups (with no adjustment height screws), 1 VOL control, and 3 mini switches, but no tone control......

Hey Guys, I need to correct something I mentioned above. On the Vllls, you had the option to go with Humbuckers as opposed to the 3 Single Coils. Now the Humbuckers that I remember in the 2 page Flyer (or Catalog?), had no pole pieces for height adjustment, but that doesn't mean that Uncle Semie wouldn't do that for you, if you requested it.
p.s. I'm up to 4 boxes that I've ripped open looking for this flyer, and the Wife thinks I have finally "snapped." :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:34 pm

Dennis,
Well, you may be crazy but I'll give you an "A" for effort.
As for the "Century" model, or Tord Backman, I can't find any record of their existence on the web. If those 50 Centuries ever got made they're well hidden by this point.
Searching "Mosrite Victory" did pull up an article from the Blue Book of Guitars:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ERpMwa0e3zkC&pg=PA777&lpg=PA777&dq=%22Mosrite+victory%22&source=web&ots=Qbz8t0tqqG&sig=CPkvBMjJrBIjjv-GKH_WdgOHwWs&hl=en
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:02 pm

MWaldorf wrote:Dennis,
Well, you may be crazy but I'll give you an "A" for effort.
As for the "Century" model, or Tord Backman, I can't find any record of their existence on the web. If those 50 Centuries ever got made they're well hidden by this point.
Searching "Mosrite Victory" did pull up an article from the Blue Book of Guitars:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ERpMwa0e3zkC&pg=PA777&lpg=PA777&dq=%22Mosrite+victory%22&source=web&ots=Qbz8t0tqqG&sig=CPkvBMjJrBIjjv-GKH_WdgOHwWs&hl=en
Mel

Mel, I have no idea if 50 of the Century Models were ever made although the Father and Son from Sweden supposedly ordered 50. All I know is when the Wife and I were up there in Jonas Ridge, before Semie and Loretta moved to Booneville AK, He had plans for the Century Series. The Victory Series was already in motion. However, the Vls and the Vlls you are looking at in the Bluebook actually represented the Ventures model without the Logo. Plus you could update it with the Humbuckers, etc, and if you noticed, there weren't any Vllls listed either. I also saw a sh*t load of errors in the descriptions of the guitars AND the Basses, but that's another "L O N G" story.
But the Vl, Vll, and Vllls I'm referring to came out in the late 80s (BTW,they are not listed in the Bluebook) and the pickup casings were in Black or White. I'm not sure if this was the first time that Semie started making the P'up casings in White. What I am having trouble remembering, is whether there was a pic of the Victory Series with the 3 Pickups..........

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:18 pm

Dennis, if you want to refresh your memory, for ten bucks you can access a whole series of Mosrite catalogs a flyer's. :lol:

Click here :arrow: Mosrite catalogs
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:47 pm

Dennis,
Yeah, the blue book is factually loose, but at least presents a starting point. They seem to categorize the Victory models as Gospels, but that doesn't jibe. I've seen pictures of some of those late 80s/early 90s models with the white pickups, though I don't remember if the ones I saw had a german carve.
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:42 pm

dubtrub wrote:Dennis, if you want to refresh your memory, for ten bucks you can access a whole series of Mosrite catalogs a flyer's. :lol:

Click here :arrow: Mosrite catalogs

Yeah, I got a bunch of those right here in the house. Actually, under the "60s Catalogs," the so called first 3 flyers are actually pages taken from the '66 and '67 Catalogs. I've also got the'84 Namm Guitar Literature Brochure, the '87 Flyer, and the '88 Catalog which BTW, I believe Loretta had told us that was Semie's nephew in the lower right picture on the '88 Catalog. We also have the '88 flyer with Semie signing it {to Dennis and Veronica-"Mosrite Forever." Semie Moseley}. We also have another pic of Semie sitting in this HUGE BAMBOO Chair holding an Updated version of a '65 Joe Maphis Mosrite Special (Octave and 6 string necks).
BUT!!! That's what it was!!! It's called the GOSPEL VICTORY Series! It's under the GOSPEL Name, not Mosrite! My Bad! Anyhow, THAT'S THE BROCHURE I'M LOOKING FOR!! darn! All this time, I thought it was under Mosrite! I'll leave quietly :oops: LOL! Oh well, I've got one more place to look for it , but not tonite......

zak

Postby zak » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:05 pm

Mel, you're a madman! And I mean that in the nicest possible way! At least you're not routing the Mosrite you already have for a 3d pickup hahaha! I knew this was bound to happen... :lol:

MWaldorf wrote:how hard is it to put binding on a neck?

Not hard, especially compared to replacing binding on a guitar body. You're dealing with straight surfaces, it's not a big deal.
I'd suggest practicing on a cheapo guitar first, though. If the neck isn't finished that's gonna save you a huge headache - most of the "pain in the butt" factor in binding jobs is finish retouches - something I'm not equipped to do. Usually when the binding is glued on and scraped down to the correct thickness it gets oversprayed, clearcoated, sanded, etc. I'm guessing the "channel" for the binding is already there (if not, you're in for a real headache). If not, it needs to be routed out - keep in mind that in spite of being absorbed by wood the glue will still add to the overall thickness, and you want the binding to protrude a bit for final finishing.
You'll need to trim two strips of binding material to correct length (leave 'em a little long) and make sure that everything sits flat and flush, otherwise you'll have some unsightly gaps. Assuming your binding channels are well cut and perfectly straight, you'll be able to fit the binding and tape it down to hold it in place for all the fine trimming. Contact cement is what I'd recommend, some people use crazy glue but I think it's a really crappy idea for a variety of reasons. You'll need a glue syringe to do the job cleanly. Use tape to hold it in place. Glue a section, then tape it off and move on. Leave the tape on for 12 hours. Wait another 24 hours before you start scraping the binding flush. Let me know if you need any more help!

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:53 pm

Zak,
Yes, sometimes my neuroses get the better of me and I set off on these project ideas. If I'd put that time and worry into actually playing I'd probably be far better off (and a better player!) but what can I do?
I'll follow your tips on the binding process. I think the channels are straight and finished, but I won't know for certain until I get the guitar in my mits, which should be towards the end of next week. So, what kind of tape do you use to hold the binding for trimming - masking tape? that blue painter's tape? a measuring tape?
Mel

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”