Semi - Mosrite?

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Semi - Mosrite?

Postby dubtrub » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:43 pm

You have probably already seen this site, but I'll add it to your post as it has some good shots of a beautiful guiatr. Mosrite VIII

Thanks for the info on the bearings. JFY, Andy Moseley has in the past had the bearings for the Mosrite vibrato on sale at eBay. In those photographs the they appeared to be machined out of solid steel, and are more likened to a bushing not needle bearings. You might check with Bob Shade about the ones used in his vibrato. Looks like your also going to need the steel rod that goes into the vibrato housing. It will be critical that the rod is the same outer diameter as the inside diameter of the bearing.

Also, don't forget to order the material to make the black side dot position markers when you order the binding. Just drill a hole about 3/16" deep, insert the marker rod with a little glue on it and trim it off with side cutters, then file it flush.
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:38 pm

Danny,
Thanks, I've seen pictures of that VIII before - it should be helpful. Interesting how the pickup angles are different between the two bodies. Also, the wood neck plate and control cover look very unusual; I'm not sure what I'll use to cover the rear control area, but probably some kind of pickguard material.
As for the bushings, they're making me a steel rod to use with the Torrington bearings to assemble the trem, so hopefully that won't be too difficult to put together. Also, they're looking for a string guide/nut for me, hopefully they'll find one.
Mel
PS. I won't forget the dot markers, I've got an old Harmony acoustic without them and I get lost above the first three frets!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:05 am

MWaldorf wrote:Danny,
Thanks, I've seen pictures of that VIII before - it should be helpful. Interesting how the pickup angles are different between the two bodies. Also, the wood neck plate and control cover look very unusual; I'm not sure what I'll use to cover the rear control area, but probably some kind of pickguard material.
As for the bushings, they're making me a steel rod to use with the Torrington bearings to assemble the trem, so hopefully that won't be too difficult to put together. Also, they're looking for a string guide/nut for me, hopefully they'll find one.
Mel
PS. I won't forget the dot markers, I've got an old Harmony acoustic without them and I get lost above the first three frets!

Mel,
Does the body on yours have any kind of stamping that says "C 93?"
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:26 am

Apparently it does have the C93 stamp.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:25 am

I share your love of a black three pick-up i have seen them before they look
sharp! But the "cherry burst " is totally cool also. can't wait to see the finished
product.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:42 am

MWaldorf wrote:Apparently it does have the C93 stamp.

Mel,
I've got some VERY LOOSE INFO that I just came across dealing with these guitars......Vlll- Supposedly was NOT a Ventures Model, but what Semie was working on, called a "V ictory Model." The Victory3 or Vlll was to be the "Flagship" of that Series with no Pickguard, fancy electronics (3 mini toggles), etc. About the same time, Semie was working on another as well called the "Century Series." I'm not sure if he was planning on introducing this for the '93
Year or not, but the one Centurylll I have seen had all 3 Pickups angled, Not like the Victory Series in which they were staggered. But I'll be darn if I can find that info now that I'm trying to find it! :evil:
Mel, yeah, I think that Body that you have, could very well be a Century Series. You see these show up every now and then on E-Bay, and a lot of times, whether the Pickups Cavitites are cut out for a stagger set up, or if they are all angled, the Sellers all end up saying that they are the
Vlll (Ventures Model 3) which is incorrect.....but I'm still looking..... :roll:

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:49 am

Wow Dennis, that explains things - how did you come across the info? So what I'll be putting together is a Century series, not a VIII. Either way is fine with me, I'm after the body and neck feel, and while there will surely be some difference in tone due to the pickup placement I'm confident it'll do!

Mel

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:02 pm

MWaldorf wrote:Wow Dennis, that explains things - how did you come across the info? So what I'll be putting together is a Century series, not a VIII. Either way is fine with me, I'm after the body and neck feel, and while there will surely be some difference in tone due to the pickup placement I'm confident it'll do!

Mel

I was afraid you were going to ask this.LOL. I had a 2 page Catalog from the late 80s or possibly early 90s, and it had pictures of the VictoryI (Vl), which was not really much more than a Mark II (no German carve), no adjustment height screws on the P'ups (more like the Celbrity IIIs), and single layered Pickguard. The Victory II (Vll) had the Single Coil (w/adjustment screws) Pickups, German carve, VOL and TONE Controls, and NO Pickguard. The Victory III (Vlll) had the German Carve, Humbucking P'ups (with no adjustment height screws), 1 VOL control, and 3 mini switches, but no tone control......
p.s. I'm still trying to find this 2 page folder (catalog)..........

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:30 pm

Very interesting, guys. That black guitar in Sweden ...in the photo gallery section of the Mosrite website there are two photos of a metallic purple 3 pu all angled model (Century lll). Apparently 50 of these were ordered by a guy from Sweden, Tord Backman. there's a great picture of Semi and Loretta holding the first guitar of the fifty. It's a great shot; very friendly and has a good "down home" Americana feeling.
I wonder how often these surface around Sweden/Europe.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:40 pm

Strat-o-rama wrote:Very interesting, guys. That black guitar in Sweden ...in the photo gallery section of the Mosrite website there are two photos of a metallic purple 3 pu all angled model (Century lll). Apparently 50 of these were ordered by a guy from Sweden, Tord Backman. there's a great picture of Semi and Loretta holding the first guitar of the fifty. It's a great shot; very friendly and has a good "down home" Americana feeling.
I wonder how often these surface around Sweden/Europe.

Wow! Where's that pic at in the Gallery?!? That would show what the heck I'm trying to explain without confusing everyone :mrgreen: .

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”