Thoughts on the MosriteForum

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Thoughts on the MosriteForum

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:28 pm

Gang,

I want to share some thoughts after seeing some complaints on the forum.

I've been operating the forum for free for close to a decade since I took over from DubTrub, who started it, and continues to help monitor it (THANK YOU DUBTRUB!). I think the forum serves two purposes - first, as a place to talk Mosrite, and second, more importantly, as a reserve of information about Mosrites that has been accrued here over the years. Personally, I've found valuable information on forums about all sorts of topics by searching the web.

No, the forum isn't as active as it used to be, but with the advent of FB and other social media, many of the original members have moved on, even, sadly, some have passed on. If someone wants to get involved in revitalizing the forum, help moderate, or wants to take over, by all means, I'm happy to let this go. If not, let's just appreciate what we've got here, all the information, and the good people who have posted and continue to post.

Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Re: Thoughts on the MosriteForum

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:24 pm

Thank you Mel for keeping it alive. It may be that things ebb and flow. I for one would hate to see the forum disappear. There is a huge repository of information here that is not available anywhere else. I lost my website when the host went out of business and didn't let me know. So, I am left trying to recreate what I once had and it's a lot of work. A lot. Once it is up and being visited I will most definitely have a link to this forum. That might generate some new members.

I am aware of a Mosrite Facebook page but haven't looked to see if there is a link back to here. That would be a positive. I still run my Mosrite Celebrity email address and when I'm contacted by people I will send them to this forum for more information.

I've collected a lot of information on the Mosrite Amps and started a section in this forum that I need to continue to grow. Now Austin started one on Mosrite Cases that I think will be interesting. There are other subjects we can discuss as well.

Admittedly I read more than I post. I will strive to be more active. I am already a Moderator on two Harley Davidson forums so I'm not really trying to add more to my plate, but with that said, if you need some help moderating I am available to do so, especially when we get these irritating spammers.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:15 am

As far as I could tell, the only "complaint" was from some guy that barely makes any posts anyway. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

Also as far as I can tell, this is the definitive Mosrite resource on the internet. Sure, it's not that active right now, but so what? These things cycle. Forums in general are in a downturn right now. With the exception of giants like The Gear Page and Les Paul forum, forums are just slowing down. No big deal.

I say just keep plugging away. Don't let this resource fade into the ether.

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:13 am

Mel, I'm guilty, and I apologize for that.
In the 7 years I've been a member here, I can not recall anyone posting such a negative post directed at the forum.
Please don't change a thing.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:04 pm

Thanks everyone. Don't worry, I'm not going to pull the plug on the forum. Personally, I've learned an enormous amount on a variety of topics from old posts on random forums, so I recognize the value of the information accumulated here over the years to people who are just learning about Mosrites, whether there are new posts or not.

I appreciate the notes of support, and I appreciate the folks who alerted me to the spammers of late so I could remove them and their garbage posts.

If anyone wants to step up and promote the forum on FB or elsewhere, by all means.

Otherwise, feel free to carry on as usual. :)
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Gonkulator

Postby Gonkulator » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:58 am

I'll help moderate if you need an extra set of eyes and hands. I check in every day here though don't have too much to post.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:16 pm

Just to let everyone know. Although I rarely post, as a rule I normally visit this forum 5-6 times a day starting first thing in the morning and ending at bedtime. In late November my wife had a surgery that took me away from the forum for several weeks during which time a few spammers slipped in and posted. Some of you reported them and I deleted their account and their posts then blocked their IP addresses.

A year or two back I went through the entire membership roster and deleted every account that did not have at least one post. There is an announcement at the top of every sub forum on this site that spells out what a new member must do to prevent their account from being deleted. If someone joins the forum and does not post on their first visit their account gets deleted. Most never read the rules and simply fade away. It has kept the spam under control but it's not the most friendly way to operate. There's no reason a new member can't give a simple introduction on their first visit to remain a member/follower here. If an individual goes through the registering process they should at least do a courtesy post to prove they are not a spammer.

I along with Mel have invested heart and soul into this forum to get it where it is today. We sincerely appreciate each and everyone of you that have been loyal members keeping the forum alive with your positive postings and self moderating.
Danny Ellison

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:18 am

Maybe you could flag there account and let them know it will be reinstated after they post once, instead of deleting the account. When they attempt to log in, the notice would let them know they must post THIS visit or the account will be Locked out. That way if they fail to post, they would have to come to you and ask to be reinstated. Otherwise they may just feel like they are not wanted on the forum.
I know it's a bit complicated to do but it's the best I got.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:25 am

Thanks for the response Panther but been there done that. It didn't work.
Danny Ellison

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:10 pm

Hey Dub,

I wonder if giving a new member 30 days to post would help. I send some folks here that contact me via my website. I don't know if people are inclined to post right away or take a stroll around first. Admittedly, I do check in every day but don't always post. I'll try to contribute more and see if we can generate more interest.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Return to “Off Topic”