A dying breed?

olrocknroller
Top Producer

A dying breed?

Postby olrocknroller » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:15 am

Is the electric guitar going the way of the dodo bird? Comments, and articles, even professional players are bemoaning a dwindling audience for the characteristic sounds of amplified guitars...especially those using heavy distortion. If you can take the sound of today' pop music, listen for the guitar...in many cases, you won't hear one.

So, my question is, will our generation be the last to embrace the electric guitar, and of course, what will that do to the "value" of our prized possessions? :roll:

olrocknroller
Olrocknroller

Greg_L
Top Producer

Re: A dying breed?

Postby Greg_L » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:52 pm

No, there are more bands than ever. Rock and roll is hurting in the mainstream for sure, but so what? I don't necessarily want 13 yr old girls and old ladies liking the music I like. Go one step lower and cities across the world are full of real bands with real instruments taking care of business.

Nitromessiah

Postby Nitromessiah » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:13 am

actually I agree, it's dying. Sure, there are a LOT of young chicks doing the sensitive singer/songwriter crap but the kid wanting to be Clapton or Nokie or SRV, they are few and far between. Worse is there isn't an audience for them so there's no where to play besides Youtube!

Guitars have become fashion statements, just look around Facebook at how many guys have a guitar in their picture, yet never play it in front of anyone else. Even Stephen King's facebook has him holding a guitar!

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:37 pm

Nitromessiah wrote:actually I agree, it's dying. Sure, there are a LOT of young chicks doing the sensitive singer/songwriter crap but the kid wanting to be Clapton or Nokie or SRV, they are few and far between. Worse is there isn't an audience for them so there's no where to play besides Youtube!

Guitars have become fashion statements, just look around Facebook at how many guys have a guitar in their picture, yet never play it in front of anyone else. Even Stephen King's facebook has him holding a guitar!

I agree, there are still plenty of guitars on stage, but the real players are getting difficult to find...some real good pickers playing country, but the artists we admire, like Chet, and Nokie, who can play the telephone book and make it sound good, are becoming a rare breed!

I follow the prices of "collector" guitars, and they are flat or even falling. That may be a reflection on our economy, but I have the feeling it's more than that...
Olrocknroller

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:38 pm

olrocknroller wrote:
Nitromessiah wrote:actually I agree, it's dying. Sure, there are a LOT of young chicks doing the sensitive singer/songwriter crap but the kid wanting to be Clapton or Nokie or SRV, they are few and far between. Worse is there isn't an audience for them so there's no where to play besides Youtube!

I agree, there are still plenty of guitars on stage, but the real players are getting difficult to find...some real good pickers playing country, but the artists we admire, like Chet, and Nokie, who can play the telephone book and make it sound good, are becoming a rare breed!

I follow the prices of "collector" guitars, and they are flat or even falling. That may be a reflection on our economy, but I have the feeling it's more than that...

These are good observations. The vintage market does currently seem to be a buyers market and I've taken advantage. This year I nabbed a very nice '63 Fender Jag and an equally nice '60 Gretsch Double Anniversary each for less then you'd pay for Custom Shop reissues.

The popular music scene is very dance and fashion oriented these days and has been for some time. Sure there was a Go-Go and Twist dance scenes in the '60's as well and British Mod fashion was influential but music for music's sake by casually dressed artists (e.g. the folk scene, the jazz scene, surf music) also sold very well. Today, music for music's sake is not well represented on the radio.

As for the title of this string - it's what I think about often being a Ventures collector. You can't be a Ventures collector with the thought that your collection will go up in value. It's not like baseball or comic books where the pipeline of fans is never ending. Ventures fans are a dying breed and their albums will soon be worth what a Guy Lombardo album is currently worth - nada (with very few exceptions). Guy Lombardo fans have died off or are on fixed incomes. Will the value of our Mosrites go the same way? I don't really care. Ya gotta collect what ya like. -Marty

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:00 am

Nokie wrote:
These are good observations. The vintage market does currently seem to be a buyers market and I've taken advantage. This year I nabbed a very nice '63 Fender Jag and an equally nice '60 Gretsch Double Anniversary each for less then you'd pay for Custom Shop reissues.

The popular music scene is very dance and fashion oriented these days and has been for some time. Sure there was a Go-Go and Twist dance scenes in the '60's as well and British Mod fashion was influential but music for music's sake by casually dressed artists (e.g. the folk scene, the jazz scene, surf music) also sold very well. Today, music for music's sake is not well represented on the radio.

As for the title of this string - it's what I think about often being a Ventures collector. You can't be a Ventures collector with the thought that your collection will go up in value. It's not like baseball or comic books where the pipeline of fans is never ending. Ventures fans are a dying breed and their albums will soon be worth what a Guy Lombardo album is currently worth - nada (with very few exceptions). Guy Lombardo fans have died off or are on fixed incomes. Will the value of our Mosrites go the same way? I don't really care. Ya gotta collect what ya like. -Marty
[/quote]

I think you nailed it Nokie, every time I mention The Ventures, I have to explain who they are, and not just to the "younger" generation, so we will probably be the last generation to really enjoy this music, and these instruments. Some mighty fine instruments, fun music, and some great people are heading for obscurity...
Olrocknroller

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:41 am

I'm under the impression that things are going pretty well with guitar orientated music. Labels are making money again and venues and festivals have excellent turn out. But the music styles and scenes are - as always - changing. But the guitar is still in there.

Regarding old school styles and playing, I for one can confess that the surf music scene hasn't been as good as it is at the moment. Tons of bands that puts out great stuff. Check out http://www.northseasurfradio.org and the weekly Fiberglass Jungle show on http://www.luxuriamusic.com/podcasts/Fiberglass%20Jungle.

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:49 pm

That's good to hear! Thanks for the links! Maybe we will experience a revival or something...I'd like to be 20 again, please. :mrgreen:
Olrocknroller

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:59 am

ElTwang wrote:I'm under the impression that things are going pretty well with guitar orientated music. Labels are making money again and venues and festivals have excellent turn out. But the music styles and scenes are - as always - changing. But the guitar is still in there.

Regarding old school styles and playing, I for one can confess that the surf music scene hasn't been as good as it is at the moment. Tons of bands that puts out great stuff. Check out http://www.northseasurfradio.org and the weekly Fiberglass Jungle show on http://www.luxuriamusic.com/podcasts/Fiberglass%20Jungle.

That certainly is encouraging. The internet has gone a long way in building the guitar music community(s). It has given life to many niche markets and surf/instro is indeed one of them. I know Big Tiki was concerned about attendance of the SG101 conventions and the money that labels make ain't what it used to be BUT that's true for all music genre's. If it is dying as I was figuring, it's realizing a nice long last breath.

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:06 pm

Thousands of guitars and amps are being made and sold every day, and not only in the USA.

Perhaps, "Ventures In Space" music is becoming less played, but as said above, Surf and Blues are both VERY alive, as is the varied stuff which comes out of varied flavours of round-hole flat-tops.

Not much in history has stood still, since 1800. Just hang on, enjoy as much of the ride as you can and "Don't worry, pick Mosrite."

Return to “Off Topic”