Northern California's getting shaky!

jfine
Top Producer

Northern California's getting shaky!

Postby jfine » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:02 am

Wow! There I was, sitting at my computer in Vallejo, CA, at about 3:20AM, minding my own business, when the house started rattling and shaking. Everything's OK so far--the power didn't go out, but our satellite TV's down, so I haven't been able to get much information, just a mention online with a link to a government geological site (which I wasn't able to get to), but it was apparently centered northwest of American Canyon, which is just up the road from us. 5.96 on the Richter scale apparently--that's a fair-sized quake, but I'm glad that it wasn't a much bigger one further away. It felt not unlike the 7-pointer in '89 that took down a freeway in Oakland and part of the Bay Bridge, but that one was over ten times stronger than tonight's, and we were a hundred miles from the epicenter of the '89 one. I just hope we don't get aftershocks!

FritzCat
Top Producer

Re: Northern California's getting shaky!

Postby FritzCat » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:23 am

It shook the crap out of us here in Sonoma! Lost power til 7:30, but no real damage here although Napa had a several buildings damaged and a lot of injuries.

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:53 am

It must have rocked me to sleep, didn't notice a thing here in the Central Valley...went to bed about 3:00 am. Most importantly, all guitars are still hanging from the wall!
Scott

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:28 pm

I heard about this quake. Glad yall are okay. I didn't feel a thing here in Houston, Tx. ;)

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:51 pm

Been watching the news all afternoon. We're really lucky here in north Vallejo--some businesses downtown lost windows, but we're fine here--just a couple of pictures fell off a desk. Even the satellite TV came back. Napa, just 17 miles from us, didn't fare so well--lots of buildings downtown had damage, and my sister's house is a mess inside--no structural damage, luckily, but stuff all over the floor, and they were some of the luckier ones. Everybody in the family's OK, though--I have a sister and brother-in-law, and two nieces plus a baby grand-niece in Napa.
Just heard it was a 6.2-pointer. That's pretty big! They're saying it was the biggest quake to hit the Bay Area since the Loma Prieta in '89. That kind of rock 'n' roll I don't need...

Return to “Off Topic”