RIP: Johnny Smith, 90, guitar "demigod" - Wrote "Walk, Don't

Edward Lopez

RIP: Johnny Smith, 90, guitar "demigod" - Wrote "Walk, Don't

Postby Edward Lopez » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:33 pm

Run"

THE NEW YORK TIMES OBITUARIES WEDNESDAY, JUNE 19, 2O13
"Johnny Smith, Jazz Guitarist, Dies at 90"

"...But it was another song, the gentle, fugue-like 'Walk, Don't Run,' which he wrote in 1954, that became Mr. Smith's biggest hit. While his own recording of the piece received little attention, the Ventures had a Top 10 hit with their instrumental rock 'n' roll version of it in 1959, and again in 1964 with the updated 'Walk Don't Run '64.

"The Ventures' strippe-down, hard-driving interpretation was a far cry from Mr. Smith's concept. (A more faithful version was recorded in 1957 by his friend and fellow guitarist Chet Atkins, whose recording inspired the Ventures' effort.) But Mr. Smith didn't mind. The royalties he received from the Ventures' cover - and from covers of the song by others, including Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass - enabled him to quit the punishing jazz life."

"...a demigod of guitar technique," as The New York Times described him in 1999,..."

TerryTNM
Top Producer

Re: RIP: Johnny Smith, 90, guitar "demigod" - Wrote "Walk, D

Postby TerryTNM » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:03 am

I remember Chet's version first from his Hi-Fi In Focus album. loved it and noticed it had been written by Johnny Smith but couldn't find his recorded version of it until a few days ago. . . on Youtube naturally. Certainly a classic. The great Jazz guitarists of that era are mostly gone now and I will miss them all.
When I was in my teens and early 20's I didn't realize how great these jazz players were and how difficult it was to do what they were doing. I've revisited their era and celebrate their enormous talent. Fortunately there are many now that have carried on the traditions of Jazz guitar started in a much earlier time.

I respectfully say, Johnny Smith, Rest in Peace

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:57 pm

RIP Johnny!

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:59 pm

And here it is. " Walk, Don't Run"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gobhuQ9BKWg
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:16 am

A spectacular guitarist. His method books are intimidating.

Best lesson learned; the conventionally tuned 6 string "sounds" an octave lower than it is traditionally played. Middle C between the treble and bass staffs is actually the pitch of the 2nd string, 1st fret, not 5th on 3rd fret.

Heaven gets another superb musician!

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:37 pm

I posted the Smith obit because of the connection with The Ventures. While Smith produced pleasant music I was never really into it. My first favorite guitarist, aside from my father and his brother who played guitars live on the radio back in the '30s, was Chet Atkins who I started listening to in the middle '50s. I've appreciated many guitarists since then in all genres but as far as a jazzy sound my hat is off to Mundell Lowe. His 2 albums, "TV ACTION JAZZ" and the similar but more powerful follow-up, made me appreciate that type of guitar playing. Mundell was it for me.

Johnny Smith was born on June 25, 1922. Mundell was born on April 22, 1922. I'm sure I'll be reading his obit in the near future.

Here is a YouTube video of The Ventures playing "Walk, Don't Run", introduced by Dick Clark and featuring Bob Bogle on lead and Nokie Edwards on bass on August 27, 1960. The recording, not live, unfortunately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owq7hgzna3E

vibramutant1965

Postby vibramutant1965 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:47 am

RIP , darn what talent, the Greatest generation is leaving us now at warp speed. Mr Smith was the definition of one of them.

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:38 am

Back in the '60s he used to write a column for Guitar Player, where he would discuss guitars and arrangements and things that were way over my head.

I spent months teaching myself his arrangement of Laura from his column. I bet I still know some parts of it. He opened my eyes to a lot of different things.

Return to “Off Topic”