Sad day in automotive history

zarfnober
Top Producer

Sad day in automotive history

Postby zarfnober » Tue May 14, 2013 7:09 pm

Today marks the 44th anniversary of the final Corvair rolling off the assembly line. My dad was a Chevy/Olds dealer from 58-81, I grew up with the Corvair, always been my favorite car. Since 1976, there's only been about 2-1/2 years that I didn't own at least one.

Next time you see one, give 'em a wave. Coolest car ever.

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: Sad day in automotive history

Postby MWaldorf » Tue May 14, 2013 9:18 pm

I saw Corvair sedan at my local mechanic's shop today. Classic.

Here's a picture of the Trashmen with their Corvair van:
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Wed May 15, 2013 3:56 am

Unsafe at any speed!

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Wed May 15, 2013 6:40 am

Mel, they toured with Link Wray in that van.

And Greg L, the very organization that Uncle Ralph is responsible for, the NHTSA, proved him wrong. Vairy wrong. :mrgreen:

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Wed May 15, 2013 10:06 am

Me? I've owned 5 Edsels, a Studebaker pickup, a Nash Metropolitan, 3 '57 Ranchero's, Austin Healey Sprite, '71 Javelin and currently have a '56 Packard 400. Glad to see another "Orphan Car" fan!

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Wed May 15, 2013 11:24 am

Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts hosts an Orphan Car Picnic every August. Very cool, fun, non-judged show.

Rocco

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Wed May 15, 2013 4:36 pm

zarfnober wrote:Mel, they toured with Link Wray in that van.

And Greg L, the very organization that Uncle Ralph is responsible for, the NHTSA, proved him wrong. Vairy wrong. :mrgreen:

Rocco

Yeah I know. It's hard to be unsafe in a car that can't even go 60 mph. ;)

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Wed May 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Well, I got ticketed at 98mph in one of mine, even got arrested with a 1/4 page story in the local "paper" with my color mug shot for that, have done probably around 120 in one. The worlds fastest Corvair(official), which is street legal btw, was clocked at Bonneville at 177, actually was over 180 but, he blew a head gasket on his return run, losing boost pressure and a lot of power, and had to use his average speed. And that is with a Corvair engine. There's a guy that runs the silver state classic that has had his V8 powered Vair at over 180, here is a video of him before blowing a tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hYnI5sgZjE

So Greg L, ya better watch yer Corvair manners young man, cause the people that know better are gonna call you out :mrgreen:

And do yourself a favor and ignore people that don't drive, and definitely quit quoting them, cause you obviously haven't read the book. Let me know when you do. Enjoy the video, and give Ralph a hug for me. Keepin' it fun here,

Rocco

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Thu May 16, 2013 2:53 am

Lol dude, defensive much? Calm down, I was just goofing around. I like Corvairs. Did you marry a Corvair or something? :lol: :lol:

Besides, my 1964 GTO sitting out in my garage doesn't care about no girly American Volkswagens. :mrgreen:

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Thu May 16, 2013 8:09 am

Pegged the speedometer in one of my Edsels at 120 (361 V-8) I wouldn't drive an old heap like that at my age...I've matured and wised-up since then! Bob Shade likes those old Detroit Iron sleds with fins and chrome too!

Return to “Off Topic”