How long until you consider yourself ripped off. . .

Brian
Top Producer

How long until you consider yourself ripped off. . .

Postby Brian » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:51 am

. . . by a member of the forum?

Mosrite collectors are a small group of people, and I used to take a bit of comfort in the fact that such a small group wouldn't be into the idea of ripping each other off. Now maybe I'm naive in my thinking, but I like to think that there's still good people out there. . . and when they're all a part of a small group, I tend to trust them.

So, to make a long story short, I sent an active member of this forum a check for merchandise they had for sale. They check was cashed on December 21st of 2012. . . so in about a week this saga will have been dragging on for two months.

Am I jumping to conclusions?

The member said that he shipped the item out on January 30th. Then after a week of waiting I sent a PM asking what happened, and if there was a tracking number. I was told that there was no tracking number, but the package came back to him because he screwed up the address, and that he would be sending it back out.

O.K. fine, even though that's the oldest excuse in the book, I'll give him the benefit of doubt and take his word.

Now after being told that it was shipped out a second time (over a week ago, again no tracking number) I am still sitting here empty handed.

Have I been had? Or am I jumping to conclusions?

I think two months is a pretty good window to give somebody to make good on their end of a deal. . . and I really don't like to point fingers and accuse people of being dishonest. So I'm asking what other members would think if they were in my position.

jeffee

Re: How long until you consider yourself ripped off. . .

Postby jeffee » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:04 pm

time to demand money back i think!

especially if you paid for a certain type of shipping. I never let a guitar be in the hands of UPS for more than 2 days. (plus i just want it as fast as possible)

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Wow, that's really unfortunate. Obviously, not knowing all the details (and thank you for your restraint in not going all in with it) all I can say is that I hope this gets resolved.

Good luck,
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:11 pm

Hi Brian,
Unfortunate, indeed. I'm sure the seller will read this and (at the risk of embarrasment) will rectify the situation post-haste. I think you worded your email eloquently, but would not hesitate to point a finger if it is not resolved soon.

Another point: between FedEx, UPS, and the USPS, I prefer the former to the latter. Boxes usually appear to have gone through WWIII when shipped via the USPS!
Scott

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:14 pm

BRRanger wrote:Hi Brian,
Unfortunate, indeed. I'm sure the seller will read this and (at the risk of embarrasment) will rectify the situation post-haste. I think you worded your email eloquently, but would not hesitate to point a finger if it is not resolved soon.

Another point: between FedEx, UPS, and the USPS, I prefer the former to the latter. Boxes usually appear to have gone through WWIII when shipped via the USPS!
Scott

I have not engaged in private deals for a long time, but one thing I have learned is that a "trackable" form of shipment is essential for items of any significant value. Like other forum members, I think it may be time for some finger-pointing if a resolution isn't quickly forthcoming. There was a recent "issue" on the forum with delayed shipment of a refinished guitar, and insufficient communication that no doubt generated some hard feelings, but it was eventually resolved. Too often, lack of detail in the transaction, and incomplete, or insufficient communication is as much the culprit as any "malice" by either party in a business deal.
Olrocknroller

Brian
Top Producer

Postby Brian » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Oh, he responds to my PM's, but just with excuses. He also gave me a phone number once. . . but when I called it, it was disconnected. So, I responded with my phone number asking him to give me a call, and to no surprise he never did (a pretty good indicator of someone not being straight up with you).

I'm a reasonable guy, but I hate being lied to.

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:18 pm

Just make a public post and ask where your parts/items are. I understand you not wanting to call them out, just ask publicly where your stuff is.

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Man, that is just too long to wait. Hopefully there is a good reason.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:06 pm

I've reached out to the member in question in hopes of finding a resolution.

Ideally, Mosriteers should be like Musketeers - "All for one and one for all!"

Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Brian
Top Producer

Postby Brian » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:30 am

Well, after Mel reached out to the forum member who took my money (two months ago) but never sent anything. . . the member in question swore up and down how he was a man of his word and that he would give me a call to talk about the situation. He said on Thursday that he would call me Friday (yesterday). . . but to no surprise yesterday came and yesterday went without a phone call.

Mosrite fans are a small group of people. I always liked being part of a small community that I thought I could trust. Many of these instruments are rare, and having a trust worthy network of individuals who trade in parts, rare guitars, etc. . . is essential to keeping all of this alive. It helps in hunting for those last few parts you need to complete that project, or finding that '65 Mosrite that you once had as a kid.

So in his words, the package was sent (over a month after the check was cashed) and then returned to him stamped "Not at this address" (mind you, that endorsement is NOT used by The United States Post Office). It was then resent two weeks ago without a tracking number. There's no receipt from the post office because he threw it away "by accident." There's also no record of the transaction cause he paid with cash. The guy can't even keep his word about calling me to talk about it. I'd call him, but the phone number he gave me is disconnected . . so I think it's safe to say that a scam artist lurks among us looking to take advantage of our trust.

I was had, and I hope that no one else falls victim.

Return to “Off Topic”