My last arena show (as an audience member)

BRRanger
Top Producer

Re: My last arena show (as an audience member)

Postby BRRanger » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:12 pm

Mr Bill said: "I much prefer shows in smaller rooms, the sound is better and whole vibe much more intimate. And usually you get to see the better acts before they become megastars."

Then you'd love one of our shows...usually 30 people, very intimate...but I'm still waiting for mega-stardom!
Scott

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:52 pm

BRRanger wrote:Mr Bill [...] ...but I'm still waiting for mega-stardom!
Scott

That's what all the big wheels once said too, Scott ;)

woodchuck30
Top Producer

Postby woodchuck30 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:25 am

Went to see the Ventures last feb. at Bush Guardens here in Tampa, Met the guy's had a chat with each of them really enjoyed my self. Hope to go again this year, as I'm hoping Nokie recovers from his medical problems, he's a real nice guy, very down to earth person.

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:18 am

A postscript and some contrast...
Back in November my wife and I went to see Ruthie Foster at the Kuss Center in Springfield, Ohio. A much smaller venue than the Nationwide Arena, and a much more enjoyable show for that reason. It was an older crowd too--mostly us baby-boomers, although there were a few younger folks too. Ruthie was great--if you haven't checked her out yet, she's really good--sort of funk-blues-country-folk-gospel; if you like Bonnie Raitt you'll dig Ruthie Foster. She sings really well, plays (electric)-acoustic guitar, picks her tail off and writes killer songs, and does a killer job filling up a guitar-bass-drums trio with an acoustic guitar--and has the sort of onstage personality that makes a whole auditorium full of people feel like they're in her living room. Really good show, good sound--we could hear and see everything with no trouble at all.
Last week we had the opportunity to see an actual living legend (although he'd probably hate the term)--Merle Haggard at the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas. I'd heard that he'd had some health problems in recent years and we might not get another chance to see him again, so we spent some money (most expensive show I've ever been to) and went. I must say it was worth every penny--Merle is still one of the greats; one of the most soulful cats around--lung surgery or no, he can still outsing any number of Billy Ray Wannabees. Garth who??? He's got several family members in his band--his daughter sings backup, his oldest son Noel was the opening act, and his youngest son (whose name escapes me) plays lead guitar, and pretty darn well too! Norm Hamlet, who's been with Haggard forever, was on steel and Dobro and sounded killer. The drummer (not Biff Adams; I don't know who he was) was good and solid; the bass player was having a little trouble--I think he was new--but he did OK. On keyboard was Floyd Domino from Asleep At The Wheel; a great player. Don Markham on sax (in a country band? How about that!)--another guy who's been with Merle for years; didn't play on every tune, but what he did play sounded fine--and everything's in sharp keys too; most sax players have a hard time with that! Not to mention Scott Joss on rhythm guitar, fiddle, and 5-string electric mandolin--a guy that I was lucky enough to do a few gigs with some years back. Merle played fiddle himself on the old Bob Wills standard "Take Me Back To Tulsa", did a very creditable job, and he's a great lead guitar player too. They had a few ensemble things worked out, but I had the distinct impression they were winging it most of the time. Just killer. If I'm real good for the rest of my life, maybe when I die and go to heaven, I'll get to play in a band that good!

Return to “Off Topic”