Guitar amp pioneer Jim Marshall dies aged 88

IndianScout

Guitar amp pioneer Jim Marshall dies aged 88

Postby IndianScout » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:47 am

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Guitar amp pioneer Jim Marshall dies aged 88

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:26 am

R.I.P. J.M.
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Re: Guitar amp pioneer Jim Marshall dies aged 88

Postby oipunkguy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:49 pm

here's something I wrote on Marshall's website:

Christmas Day 1992 marked the first time I ever played through a Marshall at the age of 14 . My present from Santa, a Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite, a far too nice of a guitar for my talent. Maybe it was fate that my father picked up a Marshall Lead 12 combo, at the local pond shop. I instantly feel in love with that amp, although it took a little trail an error to really understand what the gain control was meant for, ;)
August 9th, 1995 I went to my first real concert at the capital ballroom in Washington DC to see the mighty RAMONES. As we waited to see the band come out on stage, the low glow of the stage lighting on the Marshall JCM 900 SLX stacks made my heart race as the opening music began to play on the PA. When the band come out on stage and Johnny Ramone hit that first power chord through those deafening Marshall 1960 Cabs, and to hear the count off “1,2,3,4!!!” I knew my life was changed forever.
It wasn’t much time later I had the opportunity to play through a plexi reissue at the local music store, and had the misfortune of turning the amp up pass one without wearing ear plugs, lol
In the summer of 1999 I was finally able to buy my first Marshall half stack, a TSL 100 and a 1960a cab. I was in heaven. I took that amp to every gig, practice, and did some modest touring.
20 years later, I still have that little lead 12 and still play it regularly, not to mention my TSL and my newer JVM410. I’ve played through countless amps, but nothing does the job like a Marshall. My condolences go out to the Marshall family, Jim will always me in our hearts, and blasting through our amps.
Thank you for the memories Jim.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Return to “Off Topic”