Ronnie Montrose RIP

zarfnober
Top Producer

Ronnie Montrose RIP

Postby zarfnober » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:04 pm

Ronnie Montrose died today, from prostate cancer. He was the guitar player in the band that Sammy Hagar didn't ruin! That first record was great, second one not so good, but he was a great player. 64 years old, what a shame.

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Re: Ronnie Montrose RIP

Postby Strat-o-rama » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:00 am

Saw him when the band was Montrose w. Sammy, and again when he was touring solo.
This and Davy Jones...too sad.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:41 pm

Yea, Ronnie was great and the first Montrose record was on fire. That was one of the lp's that got me through high school. He was fantastic in The Edgar Winter group too. That is him playing on Frankenstein and Free Ride we hear on the radio still.

I saw Montrose warm up for Black Oak Arkansas in the 70's and Sammy was gone by then but they still rocked hard. Ronnie used an aluminum Veleno guitar with a big chrome rod coming out of the face of the guitar that had a handle grip on it for the motor cycle roar. Those were the days. Care free and alot of positive music.

I e-mailed Ronnie a nice letter one time just to let him know how much I listened to them in my youth and he sent me a guitar pick in the mail! I still have it.

RIP Ronnie Montrose

Brinkman

Postby Brinkman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Strat-o-rama wrote:Saw him when the band was Montrose w. Sammy, and again when he was touring solo.
This and Davy Jones...too sad.

And Billy Strange!

Tough year already.

Return to “Off Topic”