Out of commission

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Out of commission

Postby Sarah93003 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:28 pm

You just never know what life throws at you. Most of my career has been in Quality Management with a special focus on ultra precision metrology. In 2006 I was in a huge layoff and as the economy plunged I couldn't find a job in my area. So, I finally ended up working in a law office for about 4 years.

In August I got a new job as a Quality Manager for a contractor at Port Hueneme Naval Base. Our company processes import and export vehicles. I feel like I'm back in my element. After the first month they also put me in charge of the warehouse, inventory control, and the vehicle processing department. I went from having a staff of five to 45. In October my boss (General Manager) was sent to our port in Philadelphia to get that facility back online. Well, the short story is in November they decided to name me as the acting General Manager until his return.

Boy, talk about stress! Now I have 115 employees to worry about, not to mention labor costs, overtime costs, capital expenditures, staffing levels, quality issues, delivery issues, ........

To be honest I feel out of my element but at the same time my background in process control is really helping me improve things. I get up a 4:00 am and get home around 6:00 pm. I'm usally asleep by 8-9:00 from sheer exhaustion.

So, I haven't been around here for a while. It seems like forever! Oh, and my Sony Vaio decided to become schizophrenic and had to be sent in so I've been out of a computer for a couple of weeks. To be honest I kind of didn't mind the lack of a computer at home. My boss is due back around the end of January and I will look forward to that.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: Out of commission

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:12 pm

Sarah, sounds like good reasons not to be around here. Congrats on the new job and I'm sure you'll have these 115 employees in fine form.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:07 pm

MWaldorf wrote:Sarah, sounds like good reasons not to be around here. Congrats on the new job and I'm sure you'll have these 115 employees in fine form.

If I was Sarah, I'd find out how many play instrument and, if time allows, get them together to perform at company events such as picnics, presentations, etc. And showing such community concern will elevate her to President!

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:13 am

I'm on pension now but my difficulty/weakness as 'head clerk' often used to be getting myself too much involved in the workprocess itself rather than delegate the various tasks to staff. No doubt you will find and select the right employees to delegate to! Wishing you good luck, Sarah!

stl80
Top Producer

Postby stl80 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:19 am

Good things come to hard workers. Congratulations.
Jim

gplayer
Top Producer

Postby gplayer » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:56 pm

stl80 wrote:Good things come to hard workers. Congratulations.
Jim

That may have been the case years ago. Nowadays, the only thing that comes to hard workers...is more work. :roll:

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:53 pm

Veenture wrote:I'm on pension now but my difficulty/weakness as 'head clerk' often used to be getting myself too much involved in the workprocess itself rather than delegate the various tasks to staff. No doubt you will find and select the right employees to delegate to! Wishing you good luck, Sarah!

+1 on that! I too was a consultant in quality control and training, a job that can really mushroom once management sees the results. The key is to train, and delegate to the ones who show the best grasp of the tasks, and an attitude of welcoming a reasonable challenge. Kind of like herding cats some days though! :o
Olrocknroller

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:25 am

olrocknroller wrote:
Veenture wrote:I'm on pension now but my difficulty/weakness as 'head clerk' often used to be getting myself too much involved in the workprocess itself rather than delegate the various tasks to staff. No doubt you will find and select the right employees to delegate to! Wishing you good luck, Sarah!

+1 on that! I too was a consultant in quality control and training, a job that can really mushroom once management sees the results. The key is to train, and delegate to the ones who show the best grasp of the tasks, and an attitude of welcoming a reasonable challenge. Kind of like herding cats some days though! :o

Boy, "like herding cats" is the truth! I've been in quality management for 25 years and I would say that my background in process control, team building, and metrology is definately playing a huge role in my ability to manage this organization. Because of years of process mapping, process improvement, capability studies, etc. I've made significant changes to the processes here which in turn has made a dramatic improvement in flow. My background in team building and penchant for teaching has really caused a 180 shift in employee morale and the work environment as a whole. My background in metrology and having to make decisions based on +/- 0.000005" I think really infused within me to pay attention to the most minor of details.

It's definately a challenge and stressfull beyond anything I've ever experienced. With that said, it is extremely satisfying to see the fruit of the changes I've made. I have to say though, being new to the company I was only with my boss for ten weeks before they sent him to another port. That was nine weeks ago so it is beginning to feel like "my port". Also, by the time he returns I will have run the port longer than he did so I don't know how that is going to effect employees and their morale as he and I have very different styles of management. He is a Type A personality and it's his way or hit the highway, whereas my style is much more collaborative and inclusive.

We shall see how that plays out. I learned yesterday from a Senior VP that upper management is looking at that and has concerns as well. They are very impressed and pleased with the changes I've made as well as having broken two performance records already at this port. What a wild ride!
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

lynaron

Postby lynaron » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:54 pm

You go girl!!

Return to “Off Topic”