Dave Myers and Mosrite

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Dave Myers and Mosrite

Postby Strat-o-rama » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:27 pm

Found this doing a little pop-musicology internet surfing trying to learn more about Dave Myers and the Surftones:

>Myers, and all but one of the Surftones, were music majors in college, which put them ahead of many rival surf bands in skills. Myers himself played tenor sax, trumpet, bongos, and steel guitar in addition to electric guitar, which he played on a specially made Mosrite that was designed to look like flames.<

We all know Semi came up with some pretty whacky designs for customers, but does anyone know about this? I always thought he was a Fender guy, you know, Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Stratocasters.

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Dave Myers and Mosrite

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:49 pm

Trent, of the only 2 Albums they released, only one Album shows a PIC of the Group, but most of the PIC of the guitar is cutoff. However, it is most definitely either a JAG or J.M. Have you seen any other pix of him playing a Mo'??
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:58 pm

Dennis,
Like you, I've only seen the album covers. There seems to be very few pictures of them. Their heyday was 63-64, so a 'Mosrite designed to look like flames' may have been used for live shows.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:26 pm

Strat-o-rama wrote:Dennis,
Like you, I've only seen the album covers. There seems to be very few pictures of them. Their heyday was 63-64, so a 'Mosrite designed to look like flames' may have been used for live shows.

Yeah, I keep trying to visualize a Mosrite with flames, but Telecasters keep popping in my head ;)

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Postby Deke Dickerson » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:46 pm

Hey guys, I can help here.

I still haven't met Dave Myers or got a photo of his guitar, but I did learn the story a few years ago.

There was a Mosrite employee up in bakersfield in the real early days--62-63 era, I can't remember his name right off hand but it was another one of the local guitar nuts who did a bunch of sanding and grunt work for Semie....he made two guitars with this shape on his own time. They were made in the Mosrite shop, but not by Semie.

One of the guitars (along with the story) popped up on ebay a couple years ago. It was in really bad shape. Bob Shade bought it and is in the process of restoring it, and when it's done we're going to get some pictures of Dave Myers' guitar (which he apparently still has) and tell the whole story for an article in Vintage Guitar.

But if you're wondering what it looks like, the guitar is represented on Dave Myers' business card from 1963. The guitar that Bob has is identical in shape, but only has one pickup.

Pretty cool, huh?

Deke

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:48 pm

Now that is a body to rival BC Rich guitars! Man, I love those off-the-wall shapes - but I wonder how comfortable these things feel to play???

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:54 pm

HOLY SMOKES :shock: !!!!
Deke, that was not what I was expecting to see! I was thinking of a Mosrite done in flames (the finish)
like you would see on the TELES, but not this (LOL!). WOW, that's WILD!!
Thanks Deke ;) ........

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:57 pm

GattonFan wrote:Now that is a body to rival BC Rich guitars! Man, I love those off-the-wall shapes - but I wonder how comfortable these things feel to play???

Well if you own any stomp boxes, don' t lean over to make any adjustments,
or you'll get stabbed in the chest :shock: .........
.............................. ;)...............................

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Postby Deke Dickerson » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:03 pm

Oh, and by the way, the guy who built the guitar called it a "cresting wave" shape, which I think is actually more accurate than "flames." And more appropriate for a surf band!

Deke

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:07 pm

I remember the kid that built the flame guitar here in Bakersfield. It looked really bizarre at the time. Besides the flame shape, I recall that the body was very thin. A few years ago when I first got my home computer I recall reading somewhere on the net a short note by a guy living in the Bay area (I think) that built a flame shaped guitar with Semies guidance. At that time the message was already a couple of years old. I sent the guy a message telling him of my recollection of his guitar but he never responded. Who knows, maybe he'll find this forum.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Music Related”