Dave Myers and Mosrite

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Dave Myers and Mosrite

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:09 pm

Deke Dickerson wrote:Oh, and by the way, the guy who built the guitar called it a "cresting wave" shape, which I think is actually more accurate than "flames." And more appropriate for a surf band!
Deke

NOW, that makes more sense ;) .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:48 am

There's a picture in Bob Dalley's "Surfin' Guitars" book on pg 297 with Dave Myers playing this guitar - it's hard to make out as he's partially obscured by the drums and bass player, but you can make out the headstock and some of the pickguard shape. A later version of his business card, identical with the exception of the band name "Dave Myers and the Disciples (Formerly the Surf-Tones)" is on pg 301.

Wacky looking thing, can't be comfortable to play sitting down!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:43 am

Thanks Deke! Fascinating bit of surf guitar history. I wonder how much they (one or the other of the two) were actually used. I would doubt we are hearing them on any of the recordings, and that they were used primarily for stage performances. :?:
Look forward to the article in VG. once Bob gets it restored. By the way, what is the finish like (color)?

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Postby Deke Dickerson » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:00 pm

I'm not sure what color Dave Myers guitar was. The one that Bob found was a two tone red to black sunburst that was in really bad shape, so Bob was going to refinish it.

Deke

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Postby Deke Dickerson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:52 am

Hey gang, for those who care I found my old notes on the Dave Myers "Flame" aka "Cresting Wave" guitar.

The two guitars were made by Richard Hammond, who was working for Semie in 1963. he was one of the teenage apprentices that did a lot of the "grunt" work on the first Ventures models.

My notes say that Semie offered Richard tutelage on how to make the guitars but always insisted on painting and finishing the guitars himself.

The two original guitars were made for Kenny Hutchcraft (who sold it--now belongs to Bob Shade of Hallmark) and Dave Myers, who supposedly still has his.

And it is remarkable how much it shares in common with the 80's Mosrite that's been talked about a bunch on this list the last few days.

Deke

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:51 am

Thanks for the added info, Deke.

I can just imagine Semi in the '80's: "Back in the 60's we made these guitars... special run...called the "Cresting Wave". Maybe we should make a few of those again...."

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:46 pm

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:29 am

That is cool, but the input jack seems to be a bit out of place. I hope the Hallmark guys will post up a pic of the resto.

Hammond

Postby Hammond » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:06 pm

Hello. My name is Rick Hammond. I am the fellow who worked with Semie out on Panama Lane on and off from '62 through the summer of '63. The two guitars in question were designed and built in a 50/50 partnership with Semie and myself. The design was mine but almost all of the construction and painting was Semie. Semie was flat broke at the time and needed the money. In short, I sold the design and Semie built the guitar. I did do the sanding and shaping of the body and installed the binding on the neck. Other than that, it was all Semie. We were planning on doing more like it but I went into the Air force shortly after the sale to Dave Meyers. By the way, the Surftones were legendary in Laguna Beach. Church Key was a nation wide number one hit on the Top 40 charts that year. Hope this helps clear up the mystery.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:16 pm

Rick, how great to have you on the forum! Do you have any pictures of the guitars under construction? What was it like working with Semie?
Church Key is a great song and spawned countless covers and variants.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Return to “Music Related”