Dave Myers and Mosrite

EFElliott
Top Producer

Re: Dave Myers and Mosrite

Postby EFElliott » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:51 am

I don't know how many flame guitars were built back in the day,
but I ended up with one of the bodies around 1970, this one was a deep red
I think it was a 2 pickup, it had been put together at one time with a bolt in neck.
the top horn matched the bottom horn, didn't have the extra little flames in it.
other than that it was exact same shape as Dave Myers Mosrite.
I think someone came to my shop and bought it for a project. this is when my shop
was at 210 Fairfax Rd. in Bakersfield, California right off Edison Hwy.
Dose anyone remember a red one??
Ed Elliott

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:45 pm

That is a neat story Ed. I believe the ones you are referring to are 70's models that Semie made that looked somewhat like the these but they were very different. Different headstock, body shape, bolt neck, different pickups and hardware in general. No vibrato, etc.

A buddy of mine has a deep red one like the one you are describing. It has sort of a flame thing going on but is almost completely different than the 63 that I have.

The original 63 flame model that Rick designed and Semie built there were only 2 made. The single pickup is the first and the dual pickup was the second and last. They are identical with the exception of the electronics layout.

Side note: Rick suggested to Semie that the flame guitar should be the one that the Ventures endorse and become the Ventures model. Semie said it would never work because rock n roll was going to die and country and gospel music was going to take over. Semie really thought rock n roll was a fad that was going to die off. So Semie had little interest in the flame guitar. But in the 80's Semie took a Ventures model and used Rick's flame influence and created the "Double Axe". Adam has one or two of these. One is on ebay I believe.

I wonder what Nokie and Don would have looked like playing these flame guitars? Underground Fire!

Bob

Hammond

Postby Hammond » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:39 pm

Yes, that was my very first guitar. That was the one Semie painted for me after giving me step by step instructions on how to build it. It is no longer around. The fellow playing my Guitar was Rick Lee from Rick Lee and the Barons. His band used to play over at the Veterans Hall in Oildale. I knew him through friends at North High. When he saw my guitar, he said he was going to be on television and asked if he could use it. He wanted me to build one for him but disappeared about a month later and no one knew what happened to him.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:57 pm

I searched through my Danelectro books and could not find any evidence of a 24 fret neck. They did have the 32 fret Guitarlin but that was a different sort of fish.

Does anyone know if these was a 24 fret model guitar prior to or around 1963?

Thanks,

Bob

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:17 am

Very cool! I saw the Dave Myers business card reproduced in the Surfin' Guitars book and wondered if it was just a fanciful illustration or whether one actually existed. Now we know!
Hey, Bob S.--there's your next Hallmark model! (the double-pickup model.)

Norton

Postby Norton » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:43 pm

One of Dave and the guitar in colour.
Regards!!

Norton

Postby Norton » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:48 pm

Another one with the back of the neck!!!

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:31 pm

Wow! Thanks for posting these pics of Dave Myers and his 63 Mosrite Flame. I did not know his was bound on the headstock until seeing these photos!

My 63 flame has no headstock binding. I need to look up Dave Myers again one of these days and see if we can get these guitars photographed together. Not sure I could pull it off, but it would be fun if I could.

The only two Mosrite 63 Flames ever made in the same picture.............yep that would work.

Thanks for these photo's!

Bob

Bob

Return to “Music Related”