Bill Gruggett guitar and benefit show

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Bill Gruggett guitar and benefit show

Postby dubtrub » Sun May 31, 2009 1:47 pm

Wow! Where to begin?

Mel came down Friday and we had a good visit, then Saturday we were off to Front Porch Music where we got a chance to play Artie's #1 reissue side jack. It's sound and feel was incredible. Tried out the new Ranger and although not in the same league as the side jack, it is still a great guitar. Actually the neck feels a little wider and chunkier and should appeal to Strat and Jazzmaster players. Also the pickups don't quite have the same sound as the hand wound pups by Dana, but they definately have that Mosrite sound.

Next we headed out to Bill Gruggetts house. I had never met Bill, so it was very nice to meet him and have a look around his shop. Mel got to see his three pickup custom Mosrite that Bill is building for him via Bob Shade of Hallmark. Mel will post some pictures of it when he gets home tonight or tomorrow. Also Bill showed me his silk screen template and how it is made and used for applying logo's, so I'll be getting that made up for my custom builds instead of using water slide decals. Adam was there picking up his Gruggett guitar which Mel photographed.

When we arrived at Trout's we learned what a true gentleman of character Bill Gruggett is. Originally the ideal was to raise money to help Bill with medical expenses, but after he learned of that he asked there to be no cover charge as he was managing fine and was just pleased to have such a show of support turn out for an event honoring him.

I took my '64 Ventures model to the show for display and got a treat by meeting Racine Sessions, the lady that did all the assembly work at the P Street factory from late 1963 to the last date of closing. I asked her about photo's of the inside of the P Street factory. She said she had them somewhere and would try to locate them and give me a call so I can post them here on the forum.

There was a nice display of Gruggett built guitars as well as other brands of guitars that he had worked on as seen in the photo's posted by Deke. Both Mel and I took a lot of pictures and will get some of them posted shortly.

Arties band was the first up. I had never heard him play before and was surprised to learn that being a world class Mosrite collector, he does not play guitar but is a drummer. So no more drummer jokes guy's. :D His band was playing classic country and did a great job. Artie is also a singer. Hearing them play and being in Trout's made me feel as if it were 1966 all over again.

Next up was Ventures Mania with Deke and Garret. These guy's were doing Ventures cover tunes to perfection. Phil Hernandez blues band was great as always as was Brian Lonbeck and Deke's 'Joe Maphis' cover set. There was lot's of great entertainment and naturally a lot of socializing. Unfortunately Ed Elliott was not able to be there. That certainly would have been a added treat.

For those that missed the event, obviously you missed a great time but that's what this forum is for. We try to bring it to you vicariously. Hopefully some of you can make it out to California to the next Deke's Geek Guitar Fest and we can all meet up and place faces to names.

Also I should add that Bill Gruggett says he visits the forum as a guest and reads here often. I invited him to join the forum and participate. He reassured me that he would. So, I holding you to it Bill. ;)

Photo's forth coming.

AMENDED: Unfortunately my camera was acting up and I just found out that my photo's were all blurred.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun May 31, 2009 2:55 pm

WoW!!! Thanks Deke, great PIX, and Adam, Great Story! ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Sun May 31, 2009 3:16 pm

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun May 31, 2009 3:52 pm

Thanks Deke, Adam, Danny! :P

EFElliott
Top Producer

Postby EFElliott » Sun May 31, 2009 5:44 pm

Hey Danny, and all the rest of the gang,

Sorry I could'nt make it, I really wanted to be there. :cry:
My wife is down with bronchitis and unable to travel, Mary
wanted to fly me on out to Bakersfield, but I just couldn't
leaver her home sick.
Anyway, I'm shooting for Deke's Guitar Geek festable, hopefully
I can have a booth and display some of my work, and then jet through
Bakersfield and visit Bill, Artie and check-out Danny's own cool custom
hand-built guitars.
Well it sounds like you guys had a great time! :D
I want to see more photos!

Eddy

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:37 pm

Let me know when you leave Ed and I'll make the 8 hour drive and we can fly out together. Hope your wife gets well soon. Kevin

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:32 pm

Dennisthe Menace wrote:WoW!!! Thanks Deke, great PIX, and Adam, Great Story! ;)

And Danny and Mel!...
Sorry guys, I guess better late than never :oops:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:29 pm

Well, between Danny and Deke, I think most of the essential elements were covered. I'll just add that I had a wonderful time. I got to meet Bill Gruggett, see the work-in-progress guitar he's building for me, see the beautiful guitars he's already built, hear great music and meet more of the Mosrite family. I took lots of pictures, especially at Front Porch Music, which I'll post in a separate thread.

Here, then are the pictures from Bill's garage and the concert:

First some pictures of guitars in process. One of these will be mine!

Here is the silkscreen for Gruggett headstock logos

Guitar show! Here's Brian Lombeck's custom Mosrite

Bill being interviewed for local TV

Gruggett custom builds and others:

Gold sparkle Hallmarks

Ventures Mania!

Brian Lombeck w/Deke Dickerson & Chris Sprague

Danny with Racine Sessions, mother of Ronnie Sessions (country picker and Mosrite player: http://www.hillbilly-music.com/artists/story/index.php?id=16138) and long time assembly worker at Mosrite factory

Dana Moseley with my "Parts-rite"

Me with Teresa, waitress at Trout's and new MosriteForum fan
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

64sunburst
Top Producer

Postby 64sunburst » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:55 pm

Hey, nice t-shirts! Can't wait to get mine. :mrgreen:

Byron

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:56 pm

yeah, first sighting of THE T-shirts being worn! :o Danny's picture came up first so he has the honour of being the first to be seen on the forum wearin' it I guess! ;)
Good pics!

THANKS MEL!

Return to “Music Related”