Ventures book

Tommy W

Ventures book

Postby Tommy W » Sun May 25, 2008 9:44 am

I just got the new book on the Ventures and it has alot of details about how Nokie took his Telecaster to Semie Moseley to have the neck shaved down and while there was asked to try out a Mosrite . It also goes into detail about the Mosrite amps and what happened to cause the Ventures/Mosrite spilt. Also has lots of rare pictures including a picture of Nokies original Mosrite that was stolen along with fourteen other Mosrites from his home in 1970 , the original now hangs in the Hard Rock Cafe in Honolulu Hawaii.

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Ventures book

Postby dubtrub » Sun May 25, 2008 10:11 am

Sounds great Tommy,

Thanks for the reminder. I just ordered the book and will be looking forward to getting it. Another book I would love to have, if it was translated to English is Vintage Mosrite. I have seen Desert Surfer's copy of the book and it has some great photographs and history. Problem is, all the text is in Japanese. Plus, the starting price is $69 at auction on eBay. The last copy went for over $90. That's too much money (for me) only to be able to look at pictures.
Danny Ellison

Tommy W

Postby Tommy W » Sun May 25, 2008 10:29 am

Yeah I heard that Andy Moseley is writing a Mosrite book , that would be nice.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun May 25, 2008 2:36 pm

Tommy W wrote:I just got the new book on the Ventures and it has alot of details about how Nokie took his Telecaster to Semie Moseley to have the neck shaved down and while there was asked to try out a Mosrite . It also goes into detail about the Mosrite amps and what happened to cause the Ventures/Mosrite spilt. Also has lots of rare pictures including a picture of Nokies original Mosrite that was stolen along with fourteen other Mosrites from his home in 1970 , the original now hangs in the Hard Rock Cafe in Honolulu Hawaii.

Tommy, I've got a zillion questions....
1) What does it say about what happened to cause the Ventures/Mosrite split?
2) Nokies Original Mosrite. Was this the one that he borrowed and eventually bought for $200 from Semie?
3) The guitar hanging in the H/R Cafe in Honolulu. What's the S/N?
I know these questions might sound bizarre, but it sure would answer a lot of questions....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Tommy W

Postby Tommy W » Sun May 25, 2008 6:34 pm

See thats what I dont understand , it suppose to be his first one but it has serial number #0047 and Nokie says he paid $300 not $200. As far as the spilt they say Semie Moseley sank most of his money in other things such as Dobro and the record label he and his brother Andy had and could not make enough Venture guitars to keep up with demand. He had an offer by Liberty records to be bought out , probably become a multi-millionaire and still make $50,000 a year to oversee the factory plus another five million over ten years if they stayed successful , but he turned it down. Moseley also decided not to renew his contract with the Ventures stating his guitars could stand on the Mosrite name alone . All this along with the bad amp line was the orignal downfall of Mosrite .

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun May 25, 2008 9:25 pm

Tommy W wrote:See thats what I dont understand , it suppose to be his first one but it has serial number #0047 and Nokie says he paid $300 not $200. As far as the spilt they say Semie Moseley sank most of his money in other things such as Dobro and the record label he and his brother Andy had and could not make enough Venture guitars to keep up with demand. He had an offer by Liberty records to be bought out , probably become a multi-millionaire and still make $50,000 a year to oversee the factory plus another five million over ten years if they stayed successful , but he turned it down. Moseley also decided not to renew his contract with the Ventures stating his guitars could stand on the Mosrite name alone . All this along with the bad amp line was the orignal downfall of Mosrite .

Tommy, thanks Bro, this is some of the info I'm looking for, I appreciate it! ;) D t M.
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Tommy W

Postby Tommy W » Sun May 25, 2008 9:46 pm

It also states in the book that Merle Travis was the first famous guitarist to get a Mosrite not Joe Maphis. Also wondering if anyone out their has a picture of Don Rich with his early Mosrite guitar?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:53 pm

I just received my copy of the Ventures book in today's mail. Skimming through it I see it is loaded with history and many photograph's. I am really looking forward to delving in to it. ;)
Danny Ellison

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:05 am

I'm a about half (slow reader) way through reading the book. I'll reserve my opinion about it until after completion. I am very disappointed in the quality of the book. So far, four pages have fallen out as I read and turned a page. These pages were never attached during the manufacturing process. :evil:

There is a ton of historical facts in the book, but a couple of things mentioned did not jibe with the way I recall or heard else where regarding the Mosrite aspect of the book. However, that was 'all happening' many years ago and memories have faded and sometimes the facts get changed. It's still a pretty good read though.
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:48 am

So, to plead ignorance here, what's the name of this book and where is it available?
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Return to “Music Related”